Replace Threshold? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replace threshold?

I had a gentleman at our house doing some work and I had him look at our entry door that leads from the garage into our kitchen. There is a gap between the threshold and door that is allowing air to escape. I asked about replacing the threshold with a new one that has the screws where you can raise or lower the threshold to keep air out (will provide sample link). He said no, we'd need to replace the entire entry door.

So, my first question is - can the threshold be replaced with one like this? link

I have attached two photos of the current threshold. A rubber seal had been added to try to close the gap and was working until continued walking beat the seal down. The one photo also shows how the threshold goes under the door jamb. (I'm not seeing an easy way to get the current threshold off.) Don't know if you can tell from the photos, but when the previous owners put down the tile, it was ran flush up to the threshold.

If the answer to the first question was "yes", after reviewing the photos, can the threshold I have be replaced with the one in the link - considering the circumstances I've outlined?

Edit: for some reason, uploading the photos caused them to rotate. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace threshold?-photo-jul-11-8-53-23-am.jpg   Replace threshold?-photo-jul-11-8-53-37-am.jpg  

Advertisement

thaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Replace threshold?

Yes it can be changed, but I would not use the one your showing in that picture.
The reason being it's to flimsey. There's other brands that look almost the same but there's far more webbing under the better ones so there's full support where it sits on the floor.

In your case it's going to be more work because the tile would have to be removed in that area because the new one has to be slid in from that side.

I'll try and explain how I do mine.
First you have to find one that does not sit up two high, there's two differant profiles. The higher one I use for old wooden doors where someone has cut the bottom of the door at an angle to make up for the floor not being level.
Check to see if from the top of your gasket to the floor is about 1-1/2".

To get the old one out you just make two cuts all the way through the threshold about 6" apart. I use a Sawsall or ciruler saw to make most of the cut and stay away for the flooring, I finish making the cut with my ossilating saw so I have more control so I do not disturb the flooring.

The threshold you have will be stapled in from the outsides of the jambs so to remove it the pieces will need to be pryed out toward the center of the doorway. Once it's out I use a Dremal tool with a cut off blade to nip off the staples even with the jamb faces.
Measure the distance between the jambs where the dados are and cut the new threshold. DO not through away the cut off piece.
Use the piece as a template minus the strip that's adjustable (it gets removed untill the new threshold is screwed in place) to mark where the jambs will need to be cut out to fit the new threshold. The best way to cut the threshold is with a mitre saw. It's best to make two equal cuts not just one big one on one end. That way the adjustment screws will look equaly spaced.
I use an ossilating saw to make the depth cuts and a narrow sharp chisle to get out what's left.
Now you should be ready for a test fit.
Make sure where the adjustable strip is going to be sitting exactly where the door is going to be.
Once it's in place attach it to the floor making sure there's silicone under it to act as a seal.
Now you can hold the adjustable strip up between the door stops and cut it to length making sure to mark it on both ends so the screws line up with the holes in the threshold.
You have to make sure the adjustable strip is in it's lowest position before testing or you'll rip off the rubber seal on the bottom of the door.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-11-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #3

Replace threshold?

@joecaption - thanks for the detailed explanation. It *may* be beyond my capabilities though. Quick question, when you say there are others with better webbing, do you have one you'd recommend? I'm looking at Lowes and Home Depot websites, if that helps.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

Replace threshold?

I do not have a brand name. I have to look at them when I go to buy one.
Pretty simple, ones almost hollow under it making it almost useless the other one has what looks like I beams filling in the void in the middle.
Als look for the one with what looks like exposed phillip head screws where the sealing strip is. The cheaper ones have plastic plugs that cover the adjustmant screws, the plugs always end up falling out and getting lost.

Last edited by joecaption; 07-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
thaKing (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

Replace threshold?

Good deal...thanks joecaption!