Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replace just two windows - dumb idea?

I wrote a previous question about replacing the gasketing on our lower level aluminum windows.

We have 7 windows on the lower lever of our house, all the same size: roughly 3'h x 6'w (inside dimensions are 35"h x 70" wide). We cannot afford to replace all the windows but I'm wondering if it's a dumb idea to replace just two.

Those two windows are weird in that a previous owner took out the regular windows (slash & frames) leaving only the storms. I've attached three photos: one shows a regular window + storm (as found with 5 of the 7 windows) and the other two are the storm-only windows.

It is a bit weird having the two storm-only windows but we've been living with it for 10 years albeit it can get a bit drafty (we live in upstate NY). We have never put plastic on the windows because we want to see out and we need to be able to open them.

I occurred to me today as I was looking at the gasketing that I could replace the two storm-only windows with basic replacements. Kind of a band-aid approach - my thought is that any kind of window would work better than a 3' x 6 'single pane, aluminum storm window.

I called a locally owned window dealer, explained the situation and asked for a rough estimate for the most basic replacements. I got a quote of $251 + $45 installation + tax for each window - so roughly $600. I'll call around for more quotes.

I'm thinking that since the two storm-only windows face the backyard, it doesn't matter if their replacements don't match the original aluminum ones since we would be the only ones to see it.

The guy at the window company said the windows would pay themselves back in two years. Is that all sales pitch or is there some reality to that claim? Paying $600 would be a stretch but if it really saved us that much in two years, it would be worth it.

So with our situation as I've outlined it here would it make sense to replace the two storm-only windows with basic replacements even if we end up taking them out in 3-5 years (so we can get all matching windows for the lower level)?
Attached Thumbnails
Replace just two windows - dumb idea?-p1015956.jpg   Replace just two windows - dumb idea?-p1015952.jpg  
Attached Images

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6

Anyone willing to quote you a price over the phone without even seeing it is a fool. No way that price will be right.

Any double paned window you can afford to install will start saving you money from day one.
Within 2, years, who knows. Put it will save you money.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

I have quoted prices over the phone before.

If the client can give you dimensions, window type, removal requirements, and the type/condition of the exterior...you can get it pretty close sometimes.

Not trying to be argumentative but you could say the same thing about quoting prices over the internet....
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (05-31-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

If installing them is 45$ I'd go for it. (90$) For two. Those are big windows.

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Replacement Window Advice

Not sure if you would get your $600 back in 2 years, but that price for a vinyl sliding replacement window seems inline with what is in the picture.

The new window will pay for itself eventually, that's for sure in my opinion, not just a sales pitch, how much heat is pouring out that window in the winter in upstate N.Y. and how much is your gas or oil bill?
Window Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Advisor View Post
Not sure if you would get your $600 back in 2 years, but that price for a vinyl sliding replacement window seems inline with what is in the picture.

The new window will pay for itself eventually, that's for sure in my opinion, not just a sales pitch, how much heat is pouring out that window in the winter in upstate N.Y. and how much is your gas or oil bill?
WindowAdvisor, I see that you are promoting a lead generation website. You speak about air infiltration in your posts, so what type of AI rating could one expect from a $300 slider install in this general size and configuration?... Not very good, I'd imagine. A good quality slider installed will be around .05-.09 AI, but with capping and proper install, $500-$600+ is probably more reasonable based on those pics; especially given the fact that the job is a small qty.
I would agree that the investment is highly unlikely to be returned in two years, and with WoW's comments that pricing via phone or internet is not unacceptable when sufficient details are provided.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 05-31-2012 at 10:48 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

$300 for a new slider of only marginal quality, metal window removal, jamb cut back, installation, foam/seal, and capping is not going to cut it.

For a project of that scale (2 windows), you are only going to get the handy man specials anywhere near that number.

If the goal is solely energy reductions, put on an interior/exterior storm window.

$600 per opening is probably a more realistic number at the end of the day.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Home Performance

Thanks for rewriting everything I just said WoW ... Your version is far more eloquent.
Attached Images

Last edited by HomeSealed; 05-31-2012 at 10:47 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #9

That's why I say go for it. We'll tell ya what to look out for and hold them to their price. They need to go out of business the sooner the better. The installers are the ones who end up losing. In the end they'll be better off too.

Tham
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #10
Home Performance

With all due respect Tham, I would not recommend that someone do business with a company that is likely to go under. This is not like buying a TV at a going out of business sale. Installation quality is 50% of the equation when it comes to windows, and having a company around to service you down the road is very important.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Replacement Window Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
WindowAdvisor, I see that you are promoting a lead generation website. You speak about air infiltration in your posts, so what type of AI rating could one expect from a $300 slider install in this general size and configuration?... Not very good, I'd imagine. A good quality slider installed will be around .05-.09 AI, but with capping and proper install, $500-$600+ is probably more reasonable based on those pics; especially given the fact that the job is a small qty.
I would agree that the investment is highly unlikely to be returned in two years, and with WoW's comments that pricing via phone or internet is not unacceptable when sufficient details are provided.
Maybe I mis-understood the original post, but my thought was $600 for that one opening. $600 per 2 lite sliding window, including low-e and agron and no grids.

You are right, you will not get a good 2 lite sliding window at that size for $300 nor was it my intention to state that you could.

Yes, I have a website that promotes lead gen and by posting helpful replies I am trying to help that websites SEO. My replies are intended to help the poster with their question, not steer anyone to my site.
Window Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

If the window is level, square, insulated, and operates correctly. What are you going to service on a slider?

Seems like to good a deal to pass up,
Tham
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window Advisor View Post
Maybe I mis-understood the original post, but my thought was $600 for that one opening. $600 per 2 lite sliding window, including low-e and agron and no grids.

You are right, you will not get a good 2 lite sliding window at that size for $300 nor was it my intention to state that you could.

Yes, I have a website that promotes lead gen and by posting helpful replies I am trying to help that websites SEO. My replies are intended to help the poster with their question, not steer anyone to my site.
Fair enough, thanks for clarifying... The OP mentioned $250 +$45 ea and about $600 total for two, so I assume that he meant $300ea. We are in agreement then that $300 will not be a quality product/install.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tham View Post
If the window is level, square, insulated, and operates correctly. What are you going to service on a slider?

Seems like to good a deal to pass up,
Tham
Where should I start? Here's a few common problems:
-The sill was not shimmed properly so now a couple years later it sags, causing the unit not to seal or even lock
-The installer wrapped over the drip cap and caulked to the vinyl siding, thereby directing moisture into the window opening and creating major problems
-Something goes wrong with the window (seal failure, warped sash, busted lock, etc), and now the installing dealer is not there to install these parts. Even IF the manufacturer is willing to send the parts directly to the homeowner, he/she now has to hire someone to install them.

This list could go on forever... I guess some people are more willing to take risks than others, but as I said, it just is not something I recommend.

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-01-2012)