Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #1

Share |

Replace Glass Slider with Screen

A friend is getting married in a week and wants some work done on his new apartment. Two bedroom windows face out onto the main street and he wanted the bottom slider to have a screen. My assumption was that he would have to have them custom made to the size of the window with new frames -- he thought I could just take out the glass and somehow put in a screen. Any thoughts on this? How much per window would it cost to get one of the sliders as a screen?

Replace Glass Slider with Screen-image-4036341938.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Replace Glass Slider with Screen-image-959533465.jpg   Replace Glass Slider with Screen-image-643750867.jpg  

RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You are going to have to talk to either your local Ace hardware to see what they can do, or the property owners of the apartment building to see what they suggest. No, you just can not take glass out of a window and replace with screening. If you want screens, you either need Storm windows with screens, or can pick up the screen inserts that they sell at your local hardware store, that expand to fit the window frame, or clamp over the face of the frame. The later you usually have to custom order, if the window is not a standard size.

Due to more people having allergies, rhinitis, etc, less people are opening their windows and opting to run their hvac 24/7 365 to keep somewhat of a "clean" air environment in the residence.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

I figured I would have to probably talk with a local window expert -- I'll do that and see what I can come up with. Thanks
RomanDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Home Performance

Take some pics and dimensions to a local glass shop. They can fab up a screen unit for you relatively inexpensively that should operate as the original did.