DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Repair or Replace Garage Doors???

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Just Bill 
#1 ·
Trying to decide if it's a smarter investment to repair our garage doors or replace them with new doors and openers.

We have a 2 car garage, both doors 9x7. One door works ok, just a little slow at times. The other door doesn't work so well. It only comes about half way up with the opener. Manually, with some effort, I can get it all the way up. The bottom panel is sagging somewhat and seems heavy which may be causing the problems with it going all the way up. Both doors seem to have a little moisture damage and are starting to how signs of mildew.

I've had 3 folks come look at repairing or replacing the doors. 2 local companies and Sears.

1) 1st Local Co said a repair would involve changing out the pulleys, rollers, etc. However, he didn't advise a repair because it may not last very long with the doors being heavy. He quoted about $1700 for new doors and openers.

2) 2nd Local Co advised against new doors and wanted to repair. Quoted $650 for complete overhaul. He would change out all the pulleys, springs, all moving parts, repair the opener, repair but not replace the bottom panel that is beginning to sag.

3) Sears advised new doors due to the shape the doors were in. They quoted $1400 for new doors, openers, etc.

Do I pay $650 to repair and not replace the doors or do I pay for new doors? Have money set aside for either, but not looking to spend $1400 on new doors if a repair will do the trick. However I don't want to spend $650 for a repair if it's only a temporary fix.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#3 ·
What he said, with old wood doors, repairs are just putting off the inevitable. Once the joints start coming apart, it is difficult to make long term repairs. Rollers and pulleys only need to be replaced when the bearing are frozen or worn out. A few drops of oil is often all that is needed. Extension springs are easy to replace and/or adjust. Once the door moves easily with no binds, adjust the springs so that the door will remain stopped when you let go at mid travel. Torsion springs are a bit more dangerous for the novice. One slip while adjusting them can break limbs or cause death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.