DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Removing Rimlocks (

afulbrig 07-01-2012 07:54 PM

Removing Rimlocks
Hello. I am new to this website but figured someone may be able to answer this question for me. I have a home from the 1920s that has old rimlocks on the bedroom doors. These locks do not line up with their latches and the doors have been painted with so many layers they take some effort to close anyways. My goal is NOT to maintain this antique look and was wondering if there is a way to replace the rimlocks with new, modern doorknobs?

joecaption 07-01-2012 08:05 PM

No clue what you mean by rim lock, post a picture.
Do they look like one of these?
If the doors are that bad why not strip them and prime and repaint?
There's a few simple adjustments you can do to any door to get those old latches to line up again if there not that far off.

afulbrig 07-01-2012 08:17 PM

They look like this -

I would like to strip the doors down as well but figured while I was at it if I could replace the old hardware as well.

PaliBob 07-01-2012 08:40 PM

brig, Thanks for the link. At the price of replacement Rimlocks
the upgrade to modern door knobs makes $ sense. The problem
is that when you remove the Old Rimlock you are left with that
gaping cavity.
You have two choices either just install new doors or use the
existing doors by strengthening or cutting in a new door section
around the old Rimlock.

joecaption 07-01-2012 08:52 PM

What's wrong with the old old ones other then they do not line up with the strike plates?

afulbrig 07-01-2012 09:03 PM

The old locks are very difficult to turn and the mechanism is very loose. I attempted to tighten the screws but the inside of the lock appears to be mostly stripped. Besides these small issues, another reason for removal is for a more modern look as I change things.

I like the older homes because they are larger but I do not like some of the older things that are associated with them.

It appears that the lock is just screwed to the back of the door so I'm thinking I would just need to fill in the old screw and keyhole after redoing the door and then redo the frame around the door that has been cut into for the latch?

joecaption 07-01-2012 09:37 PM

Unless you post that picture it's had to say.

afulbrig 07-01-2012 09:44 PM

I will post a picture when I return home tomorrow.

PaliBob 07-02-2012 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey brig,
To upgrade from mortise locks, the biggest problem is coping with that huge cavity created when the Rimlock (Mortise Lock) is removed. The biggest problem that I see is that other than filling the mortise cavity with wood, there is no connecting surface for the two Faceplate screws.

My first steps would be to first see whether or not a conversion kit could be installed.
They are cheap enough to try just buy one to see if it will work on your doors.

To convert to the newer tubular style door locks I would see whether or not a Mortise Lock Conversion Door Filler Plate would work for me. Note that on this plate the two holes to mount the Faceplate are threaded for the included screws. Again, I would start out buying just one to try it.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1