Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recommendations for quality vinyl windows (new construction)

I'm getting ready to install my windows (new construction in the Pacific Northwest) and would like some recommendations for quality vinyl windows/window companies that are available in this area.
I have reviewed previous threads and done other research, but it seems that there has been a lot of upheaval (companies going out of business, companies getting bought out, or whatever leading to changes in the previous quality), so I would be very interested in old standbys that continue to have good quality or proven experience with newer names. (Also, a lot of previous info is for replacement vinyl windows or for the East or Midwest, and this would be NEW construction in the Pacific NW.)
I get it that proper installation is the most important factor, but I'd like to start with a good window!
Thanks for any and all help.

FCDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

Unfortunately, the most popular "top performers" aren't available out west. Simonton is a solid choice that is, and I've heard good things about Amerimax out there as well.
... I don't think there are any "window guys" that post regularly from out there, but perhaps someone will weigh-in with some more "region specific" feedback.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Thanks, HomeSealed for your response. Unfortunately, it sort of confirmed my suspicions. . .
so how 'bout it, builders-contractors-satisfied homeowners-in-the-Pacific-Northwest, the gauntlet's been thrown. Show me your Pacific Northwest pride with some recommendations for good windows out here Surely with all this rain we should have some top-notch, well-sealed window companies/windows?

Barring any input from this DIY site, would I perhaps be able to register and post on Contractortalk? I have seen other owner-builders post there, but I didn't want to step on toes- because although this is now my full-time occupation (I've done everything but the excavation and the flat-work so far), this is not my profession.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Home Performance

I make the rounds over there and other window forums/blogs as well, and unfortunately there just aren't too many guys posting from that part of the country, nor are their many consumers asking. It's all very heavy toward the NE and MW as you mentioned earlier.
You could possibly search the archives at www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com . They go back into the early 2000's over there... There are a couple west coast guys that shine around now and then. www.replacementwindowsforum.com is another, but its not as busy.
They generally frown on HO's posting over at CT.

If I could give you a piece of advice in your searching, regardless of the window brand, a great way to determine quality is the performance ratings. U value is obviously the big one, but Air infiltration and design pressure are important and very much indicative of the overall quality. A good, tight vinyl window will typically have an AI of under .1 (the best products go down to .01) in a double hung configuration.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Thanks again- much more useful than my local window supplier who only carries one brand (Plygem) and my fellow contractors who mainly use the local window supplier. Most of them don't seem to know what I'm talking about when I ask which surface they prefer the low-e coatings on (I'm in a mixed climate) or what SHGC they prefer, for example, on a SW facing window. Of course, I can contact window companies directly, but I really prefer the unbiased opinions of contractors who've been out in the real world installing them or homeowners who are satisfied with the performance.
(PS, I should mention that I'm building an ICF home and mostly using casements because of both the air infiltration you mentioned and aesthetic reasons)
The Following User Says Thank You to FCDesign For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Home Performance

Good choice. Just keep in mind that the quality/structural integrity of the product are even more important with casements given the way they operate. They also have a higher incidence of service issues (typically they sag a little bit over time). The nice thing is, the newer units have a cam adjuster built in.