Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Share |

Re-glazing windows. Will this work??

Iím removing my 1920ís window sashes to make needed repairs including removing the old glazing and glass, cleaning up the wood then re-bedding and glazing. Iím okay at glazing but It occurs to me that instead of using traditional glazing compound, letting it cure and painting it I could use some kind of white plastic material (nylon, acrylic, polywhatever) machined to a wedge shape. The glass would be embedded in a bead of silicon and then use another small bead of silicon to attach the plastic wedges around the parameter and provide a seal, mitering them at the corners. The windows will never be exposed directly to the elements except sunlight as storm windows will be permanently attached. Previous to installing the glass and wedges I could paint the bare wood channels using one of the thin epoxies made for sealing wood. Am I overlooking something or is it simply not a good idea? Thanks.

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Sounds ok,but,there must be some flaw in the logic, somebody will be along to say what.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

#1 How would you ever change a pane of glass once the glass and the trim have been siliconed in place?
Silicone is not paintable.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Just get the Glazing compound in the caulking type tube. As for Silicone type caulks, joecaption, yes there are types that can be painted.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
#1 How would you ever change a pane of glass once the glass and the trim have been siliconed in place?
Silicone is not paintable.
Wasn't planning on great gobs of silicon and don't see a problem replacing a broken pane. I've certainly disassembled other things that had been siliconed together. The point of using a white plastic material is it wouldn't need to be painted and that's the big plus in my mind. Definitely not interested in using a tube type silicon caulk.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
Wasn't planning on great gobs of silicon and don't see a problem replacing a broken pane. I've certainly disassembled other things that had been siliconed together. The point of using a white plastic material is it wouldn't need to be painted and that's the big plus in my mind. Definitely not interested in using a tube type silicon caulk.

agreed

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote