Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Quaker & PlyGem windows

Building a new home in the southeast. PlyGem Pro series of windows, single hung, and Quaker windows have been suggested to me.

I've never heard of Quaker until a few days ago. & PlyGems appears to be ok as long as you stick to the Upper end Pro line. Im looking for some information regarding the quality of these windows in a new construction.
Since I'm in the southeast, there will be a minimum of exposure to temperatures below freezing. I'm more concerned with high heat & humidity. Can anyone let me know about these windows. I've seen salesman samples of both windows, but don't know enough about window construction to be able to make an evaluation. Thanks for the help.

maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 582

Quaker & PlyGem windows

The Plygem premium is the better line. It is not an elite performer, but decent in my experience and better than most junk that is used in new construction. Depending where you are located exactly, you may have access to Okna, Sunrise, Softlite, or Polaris which are all better IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quaker & PlyGem windows

I personally wouldn't suggest PlyGem in the SouthEast. We have a development here and they started using PlyGem for their new construction windows. 8 months later, ALL of them are discolored.

Depending are where you are, PGT, Simonton, Custom Windows and Atrium may be choices to look at.
hungryjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

Quaker & PlyGem windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryjack View Post
I personally wouldn't suggest PlyGem in the SouthEast. We have a development here and they started using PlyGem for their new construction windows. 8 months later, ALL of them are discolored.

Depending are where you are, PGT, Simonton, Custom Windows and Atrium may be choices to look at.
I'm in South Carolina. The problem down here is really a stupid one. Where I am, Anderson is considered the top line, but every contractor you talk to says they are just too expensive. So you then get suggestions for Ply Gem pro line vinyl windows. Ply Gem Pro is the top end of the line. It appears that the Ply Gem low end are a problem. And then there's Quaker which I can't find anything good about in the reviews. Ply Gem is not a top grade window, but with most of the contractors here the Pro line is acceptable.

Now I am looking at Sunrise widows which have a strong approval rateing. The probem with all these windows is that as you go up in cost & quality, you rapidly top out where spending big bucks will get you no return on energy savings or longer lasting windows. Personally I think they all have their weak points. I'm just trying to find a balance between cost/ durability . When it comes to widows it looks more & more like you get to pay a lot of money with no return on the investment, or you settle for something you hope will last ten or fifteen years before you need to replace them.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 582

Quaker & PlyGem windows

Sunrise would be a good choice. I agree with your point regarding the energy savings, especially out of the box, however you will see major differences in longevity between the various product grades. Paying more for a window that hold last 20-30+ years is wise as opposed to the 10-15 yr variety IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (07-27-2013)