Putting The Wind In Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Putting the wind in windows

Having an issue that's specific to our house. The wind has been insane lately, coming across an open park, then funneling down the NW running street to slam directly into us. Two windows in an inside corner facing that way have been seriously affected, the wind is strong enough to push against the windows hard enough to compress the weatherstripping and flex the framing slightly, enough that there is some draft.

Do I have any reasonable alternatives other than adding exterior storm windows?

Advertisement

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Would be great if you could post a picture.
We have no idea what style windows you have, how old there are or what there made of.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Would be great if you could post a picture.
We have no idea what style windows you have, how old there are or what there made of.
I'll try to get that later today joe, the windows are not very old, dbl pane vinyl, the quality/integrity of the windows isn't the issue so much as wth do I do in a windtunnel, short of Googling whatever windows they use in Antarctic research stations. I've been over them pretty well, just basic things like recaulking, closing gaps w/ foam, cleaning, adjusting locks/latches, etc., since the previous guy thought the answer to the question "Why is this house cold?" was to park a large woodstove in the LR of a house w/ a furnace and a fireplace. For the moment I froze my yaktahbay sticking some plastic on 'em but I know that's not a solution.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,702

If you could convince the parks department a few trees there would make the park beautiful that would be a good long term start. Also if a few shrubs or trees could be planted on your property that would be a plus too.

Shrubs and trees don't necessarily need planting in a straight row as we think of wind break plantings but staggered can help tremendously with wind by acting as a labyrinth seal. I've never liked trees/shrubs near a structure but planted out away from can help tremendously.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
If you could convince the parks department a few trees there would make the park beautiful that would be a good long term start. Also if a few shrubs or trees could be planted on your property that would be a plus too.

Shrubs and trees don't necessarily need planting in a straight row as we think of wind break plantings but staggered can help tremendously with wind by acting as a labyrinth seal. I've never liked trees/shrubs near a structure but planted out away from can help tremendously.
Absolutely, I have already several plantings towards that front corner and plan on more, I'll mow the lawn w/ a weedwhacker around my mini-forest if it comes to that. I have sufficient room to keep them away from the house and still get some marginal protection, they've helped a little already but the wind is just stupid. My problems stem from none of these issues ever being addressed before, I'm still undoing weird stuff done to the house.

Because of the lay of the land additional park trees wouldn't help, (plus my wife works for the county parks dept. and I know that just isn't happening)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,736

i am thinking a few carefully places wedges, to hold the window in place.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i am thinking a few carefully places wedges, to hold the window in place.
Oy, if it were only that easy.

I'm really just dealing with a weird situation where the wind funnels down the street with terrific force. I go across the street and there's a breeze, go back to mine and I have to lean into it, and I'm not some light load. I've been looking into wind turbines, might as well take advantage of it
Old 02-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDaveGuy View Post

I'm really just dealing with a weird situation where the wind funnels down the street with terrific force. I go across the street and there's a breeze, go back to mine and I have to lean into it, and I'm not some light load. I've been looking into wind turbines, might as well take advantage of it
So your house is in a venturi, but when you get to be Mayor you can have trees of your preferred species planted in that pesky park where ever and what ever height you like.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDaveGuy View Post

It might not be the wind, just the onset of osteoporosis and your mind is playing tricks with you.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
It might not be the wind, just the onset of osteoporosis and your mind is playing tricks with you.

Ok then, thanks, glad we figured it out................
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

You could pull the windows and put in solid units. You could never open them but it would solve your problem. Not sure what the problem with a storm windows is. I put a solid unit in my shop and love it, of course it is 8 foot by 8 foot so it is the biggest picture window in Cleveland.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

some of the sticky interior window film until the weather breaks might help. some vinyl double hungs are leak central when air pressure is involved.

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote