Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pulling my hair out

I ordered 8 prehung doors for my remodel downstairs. I hung 6 yesterday. I hung 1 today. I'm ready to scream, cry or both. There is a gap at the top that I just don't understand. I made sure everything was plumb and square and I'm at a loss. The only thing I can figure is one or two of the hinges could have stripped screws. The bottom hinge has 2 sloppy screws so I was thinking of filling the holes with wood putty and do it all over tomorrow. The top hinge has 1 sloppy screw too. Here's some pictures for you to look at. Note: This door is especially difficult to shim due to the drop ceiling and no room on the hinge side.
Attached Thumbnails
Pulling my hair out-wp_20140120_003.jpg   Pulling my hair out-wp_20140120_004.jpg   Pulling my hair out-wp_20140120_005.jpg  

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,090

Pulling my hair out

#1 That opening is framed wrong. It should have been over to the right more.
No there's no way to trim it or open it all the way without putting the door knob through the wall.
Look's like part of your gap is coming from the top jamb and stop trim not being down tight to the side jambs.
Do not try and putty the screw holes. Just drill a pilot hole and use the same gauge longer screw. 2-1/2 " should work.

lendosky (01-23-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Pulling my hair out

Joe--thanks for the reply. I realize it's framed wrong. Tis the way quite a few of the doors were done here. I'm going to have to get very creative to get trim on there. As for the knob--door stops!

How can I get that top jamb down? Just pry it, shim it and nail it?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Pulling my hair out

If the door looks like that its because the door is not square nor level in a few directions. Pull the door and reinstall it.
bmg97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bmg97 For This Useful Post:
lendosky (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #5

Pulling my hair out

Sorry to say but I agree with bmg97 on this one.
Should not be that big a deal while it's out to reframe the opening over by at least 3".
While it's out I would add some trim head screws into the top jamb to keep it attached to the side jamb.
Tap it in place and predrill a clearance hole in just the top piece so as the screw goes in it does not just push it away from the side jamb.
Before reinstalling check the floor for out of level. If it's off the whole door will be off if you do not account for it by removing that amount off the bottom of the side jamb.
Also the hinge side jamb has to be 100% plumbed and not twisted.
lendosky (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pulling my hair out

Pull door, remove jack stud-add to wall side, cut 1/4" off jamb bottom (strike side), rehang door. Add a bracket if bearing wall.

Gary
PS. appears to be a gap at head/side jambs, add a screw while door is out- from above.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
lendosky (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #7

Pulling my hair out

A simple check to see how much needed to be cut off the jamb before installing is to lay a
level as close to the door opening as possible and lift until level. Measure from the floor to the bottom of the level.
That's how much needs to come off.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

Pulling my hair out

sorry guys for not getting back to you sooner. The floor is slightly out of level and being it was the last door of the day my brain was obviously tired. Fixed it no big deal. The door is a 2-4 and for a bedroom. There is only one solution to build out the wall and that's to make it a 2-0. The reason for not being able to simply frame it over is due to the way the house was built. I would literally have to move 2 walls in order to make that work. Does that make sense? If you look at the picture, on the hinge side where the wall is its exactly like that on the latch side on the outside of the door. I would have to move either the wall and utilities on the hinge side or move 2 closets and hvac duct work on the latch side. Or put a 2-0 door for a bedroom which I think is too small, right?