Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Protect Lockset finish

I'm looking for a recommendation for a product to protect a new Baldwin (fake)rubbed bronze entry lockset/handleset. I say 'fake' because it is not really authentic rubbed bronze, just a cheap version of real rubbed bronze. I have heard of people using wax or any type of automobile finish (Turtle Wax, Meguiar's etc.)

Any suggestions or input appreciated.

Cheers

Gregavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Protect Lockset finish

Just watch out for abrasives and the solvents in some car wax products and be aware there is probably a thin and crappy enough for mil spec, sprayed on, factory finish on the door hardware. You might think about getting a can of clear coat finish and enhancing it with a couple extra coats before waxing. Under the finish is, one hopes, a decent thickness of metal plating---you don't want to polish through that or all is lost.

I have done a lot of work for galleries over the years including placing and hanging fine art. This wax is a fave product of art restorers and people and was brought to my attention by people who restore art and do gold leaf work and gilding. I am not easily sold but recommend this stuff to clients buying metal sculptures a tad more expensive then your door knob. It holds up well even outside. It is somewhat expensive but a small can of the wax will last you a long time. I used to restore antique homes and relied on it after I polished brass, bronze and so forth for the houses.

http://www.restorationproduct.com/

Minding my comment about solvents that suspend waxes, a huge can of good old fashioned bowling alley wax might be a choice also. You might have to take up bowling to find some though. It seems harder and harder to find.

Remember that whatever product you choose? It is door hardware you are protecting and you will abrade and wear whatever finish and wax you put on off over time. Be sure and add re-waxing and recoating to your maintenance schedule. You do have one written down right? Every household should as a reminder.

Last edited by user1007; 08-02-2011 at 11:06 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Protect Lockset finish

Thanks so much for the reply sdsester. Some very good advice indeed. I am a general contractor and I must say I have never really done any sort of protective coat over lockset finishes. I started thinking about it because the door I just hung that has the lockset in question is going to get much abuse from the weather because it will be completely unprotected (no eve or overhead coverage of any kind). I was hoping to use some sort of spray-on product that would all but eliminate the concern of abrasive content ruining the finish.

I'm wondering how a clear satin varnish would do. Varnishes tend to "yellow" over time, but a "rubbed bronze" would probably not show much in the way of yellow. What sort of "clear coat" were you referring to?

Also, the auto product I was thinking of using was this:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17516

Thanks again for your input.
Cheers
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #4

Protect Lockset finish

Baldwin is a high end lockset, and I would bet they have a lifetime warranty on the finish.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Protect Lockset finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Baldwin is a high end lockset, and I would bet they have a lifetime warranty on the finish.
I was thinking that too. I'm checking with Baldwin as to how well their "Lifetime Warranty" actually covers the finish. Often, when you read the fine print, the warranty isn't all that great. There are also "Near the Ocean" exceptions in some "Finish Warranties". I'm fairly close to the ocean (about 5-6 miles) so I'm a bit concerned with that as well. I will find out from Baldwin and report back.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Gregavi; 08-03-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Protect Lockset finish

I just got my answers from Baldwin. There is no "Near the Ocean" exception, so that's good. They claim that the finish is warranted for life, as long as you don't use any solvent or abrasive based product on it. If it fails, they will replace it free of charge. They do recommend using as automobile wax or finish of any kind as long as it does not contain an abrasive. So, I guess I'll be using my Meguiar's spray finish on it.

Cheers