Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

Proper sealing of block to window frame.

Hi All,

Attached are 2 sketches of how my window sits. I build a rectangle frame within the rough opening with 1x4 PVC board that the window fits snug into. My issue is two fold.

Picture #1 --

The top and bottom of the window frame are flush with the black wall. However, the sides are not. There is about a 1/4 - 3/8 gap on either side that looks like it would be too big for a simple bead of caulk, unless I used a ton...

Question -- What should I be using for the sides? Should I do one thing for the inside and another for the outside? Spray foam the inside, caulk the outside?

Picture #2 --

The window frame is slightly bigger than the width of the window. I have a few questions here.

A. Positioning -- Should I position the window like I have in the sketch (Excess frame outside), should I split the difference and have some inside and some outside or should the window be flush with the outside and leave the excess on the inside?

B. Flashing / sealing -- From the second sketch, notice the arrows. Depending on the Positioning from question A (above), should I flash the area with the arrows or should I just use 2 beads of caulk?

If I'm missing anything or you would like actual pictures of the window / frame / openeing, I can get those later tonight.

Thanks again everyone!!

Jeff
Attached Images

Bathroom demo started Feb 2013: View my bathroom progression!!!
Trucon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #2

Need a picture of the real thing.
Window needs to be even with the outside not the inside. By doing it the way you show there an edge for water to lay and work it's way inside.
You use jamb extentions to get the inside to be flush with the inside sheetrock.
Most often Brick moulding is added on the outside. Using vinyl brick moulding would be best.
Low expanding foam to fill in the gaps. Most people spray way to much foam into the gap. It does not need to be fully filled in the first pass, it expands. Apply it, give it a few min. to have time expand before adding more if needed.
Appy to much and it can bow the frame and make a huge mess on the out side.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
Home Performance

There is really no right or wrong way in terms of where to place the buck frame and window, it really just depends on how you would like it to look both inside and out (provided that there is an outward pitch as shown on your drawing).
On the gaps, they are probably too big for caulk alone, so use some spray foam or backer rod prior to caulking. There is really no way or need to flash a basement window, so caulk on the exterior will suffice.
I assume that your basement is going to be finished? If so, place the window so that the exterior looks as nice and seamless as possible, as you'll probably have some drywall or wood returns on the interior that will dress things up.
I can't say that I see brickmold on basement windows with any regularity , nor would it even fit in this application. You would have to rip it down and it would be pointless.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 11-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Thanks for both replies!!!

These windows are well windows as well, if that makes any difference.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

I have the windows in place and screwed to the 1x4 frame. Now I have a question on how to finish off the inside...

What is the best way to finish off the inside and make it look nice? I created 2 pictures of what I had in mind. Can someone give me some insight into this?

Picture #1 --

Probably not advised as the drywall at the top would be in direct contact with the concrete block wall. I only made this because the drywall would be flush with the frame, leaving the entire window visible.

Picture #2 --

This would add wood to the top and bottom, almost like a frame extension and then add the drywall and sill. The only issue here is that the drywall and sill would cover up part of the actual (vinyl) frame on the window.

I've searched all over for details on how to do this properly and cannot find something with detail...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

I like option 2 if you want some more window sill depth.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote