Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Prehung door in block, brick house help.

Hello diychatroom. New member here, looks like alot of good info on the site!

Heres my problem. I need new entry doors, Im starting on the back door in case I mess it up. My exterior walls are 3.75" block with a 1" gap, then the brick.

I want to cut the original jambs theres 5.875" from the finished interior wall to the outside jamb. And secure the new pre hung right to the 3.75" block. I will have a 1/4" gap total on each side. and as much as need on top, theres a big gap between the top of the jamb and the lentil. There is no interior casing, it is plastered right to the jamb. Im going to have to cut the plaster a 1/2" back on all sides to slide the pre hung in.

The new pre hung is exactly 1/2" smaller than the block opining. The brickmold is the exact measurement as the brick opening. If I have to rip a little off the brick mold, no biggie.

I need opinions if anyone has done a door install like this. I do not want to hang a slab door in these jambs, there not it good shape. Basically the block with be my framing, is this common on older homes, it was built in 1955.

Hinge side

Lock side

Interior side I will have to cut a 1/2" of plaster out to slide new pre hung in and attach casing, I think it would look better anyway.

Top of door, shows gap between lentil and top of jamb.

The Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

I would opt to have a custom door made there. While the old jamb may be held in there firmly, you will probably damage the block when you remove the jamb. I have never had great success attaching a jamb directly to block. An entry door is heavy, and the jambs need to be able to withstand not only the weight of the door, but the constant open/close cycles as well.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

Well the jamb in there is pretty loose, Im not sure how its even attached, The block looks very porous, but not damaged from what I can tell. I was just gonna run a sawzall down it. and tapcon the new jambs to the block, or if there was a good system of anchors for the block that im not aware of.

What do you mean by custom door, have a slab door made for the opining?
The Money Pit is offline   Reply With Quote