Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

Prehung door

Installed a pre-hung door rised hinge side up so it is square and door opens perfectly however now there is a space under the threashold on the hinge side but only half the threashold. The other sideis level but I don't have any room to shim the sides.any any tips thanks fustrated

Mecookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #2

Prehung door

Did you check the hindge side jamb to make sure it was plumb?
Did you check to see if the floors off?
Once installed does the knob line up with the strike plate?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Prehung door

Is that a shim(spacer) or is that part of the factory shipping clamps(often a piece of 1/2x2 stripping)???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #4

Prehung door

Hello just bill could you explain a little more in detail
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #5

Prehung door

At first the knob would not line up with the striker. Then I was told to raise the hinge side up until the nob clicked with the striker which it did now I have a gap under the threashold but only half the threashold has a gap
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Prehung door

Either the floor is out of level, the door is out of level, or they are both out of level. Check the bottom of door with a level first, then check the floor. While you are at it, check the door to see if it is square. You can do this by measuring the two diagonals, they should be equal, and put a square on each corner to see if the corners are 90 degrees. You cannot fix the problem until you know the reason for the problem, once you know the cause, this forum can certainly help you resolve the issue.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #7

Prehung door

when i install my prehung doors i always put a level on the floor and cut the bottom of the jamb to level it up then shim my hinge side. i then line up the other side by closing the door.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Prehung door

are we taking about a interior or exterior door???

for an exterior door always start at the floor.. get the threshold sitting level then plum the hinge side.. from there shim the latch side as required to get a decent reveal.. keep in mind that lower quality doors are going to be much harder to get a decent reveal as they arent made to a high standard of precision that say a pella, marvin or kohler will be

for interior doors.. i dont hang prehungs, i hate hte damn things. the hinges are never mortised correctly, the header is too long 90% of the time making it impossible to get a decent margin on both the hinge and latch side. i mortise my own doors and make my own jambs, 100% quality control plus i have better control over the quality of hte hinges.. believe it or not prehungs come with ****ty hinges which dont always have the leafs bent to the correct angle which affects how the door operates
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Prehung door

Exterior pre hung door. Problem is the door has no room on the sides to shim.should I go from a 32"to a 30 "
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Window and Door installer

Prehung door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecookieman View Post
Exterior pre hung door. Problem is the door has no room on the sides to shim.should I go from a 32"to a 30 "
If you have no room to shim at all, then the opening will be what it is. Meaning if it's out of square, so will your new door. I'd suggest going down to a smaller size door, unless you're lucky enough to get a perfectly square frame (highly unlikely).

You can try to take a hammer and hit in the cripple's (2x4 framing) on both sides of the opening, that could buy you a half inch or so. If the framing is completely out of square that might not be enough, though. If you're feeling adventurous, you can see if you're lucky enough to have multiple cripples, and you could possibly remove one and go down to a 1x4 to buy even more room. You cannot do this if there is only one on each side though (the 2x4 that supports the header). There are also some restrictions to this on multiple story houses and what the opening has to support. If it's a 1 story house with multiple cripples, it shouldnt be an issue though. Just an option.

I'm having visions of the horrible phrase, "Make it work!" floating through my mind right now.

Last edited by Jkslate; 05-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Jkslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #11

Prehung door

My guess is you really mean the jacks not the cripples.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote