Pet Door Addition - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pet door addition

I've looked at the options for a pet door addition to a sliding glass door and don't really like what I found. My slider is not large now and the room used by the pet door addition make the opening horrible. With that said, I am considering replacing the fixed panel in my slider with a half light door and adding the pet door to that as a cut-in. That way if I move I can put things back easily. Has anyone done this? Any gotchas?

Thanks,

Doug

Advertisement

tndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 608

Pet door addition

Not going to happen for many reasons.
What would you do with the threshold you have now?
How would you even mount it in the opening you have now?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Pet door addition

What I planned is to disassemble to slider, remove the fixed panel, cut down the half light door to the dimensions of the fixed panel on the slider and reassemble the slider with what is basically a replacement for the fixed panel. I could paint it white to match and it shouldn't look to out of place.

Let me add a little more, I currently have a slider so there is no threshold issue, just a replacement for the fixed panel in my existing slider.

Doug
Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #4

Pet door addition

hey pet lovers, i had staywell doors for 3 years and they are just damaged and the worst is there was so much cold air going through. any advice for some better brand?
sarahgarden123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Pet door addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndoug View Post
What I planned is to disassemble to slider, remove the fixed panel, cut down the half light door to the dimensions of the fixed panel on the slider and reassemble the slider with what is basically a replacement for the fixed panel. I could paint it white to match and it shouldn't look to out of place.

Let me add a little more, I currently have a slider so there is no threshold issue, just a replacement for the fixed panel in my existing slider.

Doug
Cutting glass and re-glazing a door is not joke.

How are you planning on cutting the tempered glass or are you going to just have the whole panel re-made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahgarden123 View Post
hey pet lovers, i had staywell doors for 3 years and they are just damaged and the worst is there was so much cold air going through. any advice for some better brand?
Sorry I can't offer any suggestions here but here is a bump to the thread.

Maybe someone else will have some feedback.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Pet door addition

I guess I'm not making myself clear. I want to replace the grass fixed panel in my sliding door with a wooden door with glass only on the top. I can then install a pet door in the wooden bottom. Has anyone done this.

A sliding door has 2 panels a sliding panel and a fixed panel. I only want to replace the fixed panel and it will stay fixed with a pet door in the bottom.

Advertisement