Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pella vinyl windows vs Atrium Dynasty collection windows

I am thinking of replacing my windows (19total). I am confused with all the products out there. I was referred by a friend to a co that carries Atrium vinyl replacement windows. I got a great price from them. However, I have heard great things about Pella, especially it's retractable screens. Please advise

nirvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Neither, I would pick Andersen 400. With my business, Pella has a miserable service record, and a crappy product. I was an Atrium dealer way back when they first started up(in the 90's), again, very poor service. Not sure what they are like now. But I can verify many cases of excellent service from Andersen.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
the Musigician

I'd use Marvin or Eagle.....

DM
Old 04-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

Nirvestor, if you are looking at vinyl windows, the two posts prior are off-base (no offense guys) as they are referencing wood products... Pella's vinyl product is poor, plain and simple. Atrium has several different lines/brands, so it may or may not be good, but I can say almost certainly that it would be an upgrade from Pella. Any positive things you hear about Pella are based on their wood products, and even then, many people would beg to differ. I suggest that you if you are going to diy, check out some local building supply houses/ lumber yards and look for some of these names: Gorell, Softlite, Simonton, Great Lakes/PlyGem, Milgard, and Sunrise. Some may not be available in your market, but you should at least be able to find a couple. Those are well respected vinyl window manufacturers with fine products.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
the Musigician

I beg to differ. He never stated he was interested in only vinyl windows, only that they were referred by a friend. I stand by my recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvester View Post
I was referred by a friend to a co that carries Atrium vinyl replacement windows.
DM
Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #6

corrsct, I skimmed over your question and skipped "vinyl replacements". But almost the same reply, avoid Pella. Not familar with Atrium replacements. I don't see where you are located. I have used Viwinco windows for at least 20 years, available east of the Miss., made in PA. Excellent products, quality service. Remember, you get waht you pay for, cheap windows are CHEAP.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Remember, you get what you pay for, cheap windows are CHEAP.
*BINGO!*

DM
Old 04-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I beg to differ. He never stated he was interested in only vinyl windows, only that they were referred by a friend. I stand by my recommendation.

DM
Read the title of the post... He is comparing two vinyl windows. Secondly, if you are suggesting that your wood recommendations would be superior to a high quality vinyl product, then please elaborate. Energy efficiency (u-value and/or air-leakage)? maintenance? longevity? strength (design pressure)? warranty? price???? Shall I continue?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
the Musigician

I am thinking of replacing my windows (19total). I am confused with all the products out there.

Are you saying that vinyl is the only product out there????

My opinion on cheap vinyl windows remains the same. If I had the option, (and the $$$, of course) I would not use them in my home. Too many headaches down the line. Sometimes right out of the gate!

DM
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I am thinking of replacing my windows (19total). I am confused with all the products out there.

Are you saying that vinyl is the only product out there????

My opinion on cheap vinyl windows remains the same. If I had the option, (and the $$$, of course) I would not use them in my home. Too many headaches down the line. Sometimes right out of the gate!

DM
Once again, please re-read my post. I specified "high-quality" vinyl products. In the interest of disclosure, I sell and install vinyl, wood, and fiberglass windows. I believe each have their pros and cons, although for "bang for your buck" and performance, vinyl is far ahead. My opinions are based on my experience in and around the industry all of my life (my family has been in the industry for four generations).