Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

Pella Sliding Glass Door Repair/Replace

I have an 11 year old Pella Proline 450 sliding glass door. The area below the glass on the fixed panel has rotted out. The fixed panel doesn't show up in the standard Pella parts list for the door. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't get one, but it might take some work. After looking at the door, the fixed panel doesn't appear to be easily removable - no visible brackets or tracks.

Does anyone know if it's even removable and if so, how? The guys at my local Pella Store thought I might have to remove the entire door to get it out. But, they weren't positive.

If the entire door has to come out, I will be strongly motivated to replace it with something else as we have always hated the screen being on the inside of the door. Though financially, replacing a $300 panel is better than spending $1K on a new door.

exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #2

Over the years I have warned people on these websites about Pella. This is common with their products. And it generally shows up just after the warranty expeires, they will do nothing but supply new parts at retail cost. If you are considering a replacement, don't replace with Pella.

You may be able to slavage the wood, at least for a while, with one of the epoxy wood fillers. Dig out the rotted wood, apply the filler, sand when dry and paint.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

I'm not trying to bash Pella. I have 15 other Pella Proline windows that have given me zero issues over 11 years. I'm not thrilled this has happened. Obviously, the damage has occurred over a few years. Yes, I doubt Pella will step up an do anything about it.

Yes, digging out the damaged wood and filling it in with an epoxy type filler, is an option, if only temporary. But, I'm afraid that once I start digging, it won't stop.
exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #4

it may be nailed in thru the sash into the frame
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
it may be nailed in thru the sash into the frame
It probably is actually screwed through the jamb if memory serves. We did a lot of install of Pella Pro lines when they first came out. We were working for a production builder who used a lot of them. I was always ashamed at Pella for soiling their rep with this bottom rung product. We had more problems with the windows than the doors though. Getting them set so that they sealed correctly was very difficult.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-18-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #6

Once you think you have most of the rot out, there is a product from Minwax called Wood Hardener. It is a resin based product that will harden soft wood and the remainder of the rot, stopping it. Apply several times, until the wood stops soaking it up, then use the epoxy putty to fill in.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote