Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Share |

Patio door question

I just got a quote for a new Jeld Wen patio french door (36" doors) with side lights (20") on each side for a RO of 10'. The sales guy said that it's shipped in 3 pieces. Does this mean that the opening will have to have a stud in it in between the main door and each sidelight? Or does this go together as a single unit in the opening?

I.e., will the opening before installing look like this ( | = stud ):

| 120" |

Or like this:

| 20" | 72" | 20" |

Thanks!

SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Home Performance

Patio door question

It depends on how it was ordered, but conventionally the sidelites are mulled to the door unit. Whoever is coordinating and installing this project should know those details... Even if it was ordered to account for studs in between the door and sidelites (unlikely), it should still be a continuous header across the entire span. The studs would be filler.
On top of that, I don't like to be the black cloud rolling in here, but this project has other red flags going up as well . French doors are generally extremely complicated, and throwing a sidelite on each side takes that up a notch, as does using a product that relatively "cost effective". I realize that this is on the DIY board, but hopefully whoever is doing the install (whether it is you are someone else) is extremely competent when it comes to hanging doors and general carpentry skills... Please don't take offense to that, but you really have your work cut out for you.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 06-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
joecaption (06-20-2013), Windows on Wash (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #3

Patio door question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
It depends on how it was ordered, but conventionally the sidelites are mulled to the door unit. Whoever is coordinating and installing this project should know those details... Even if it was ordered to account for studs in between the door and sidelites (unlikely), it should still be a continuous header across the entire span. The studs would be filler.
On top of that, I don't like to be the black cloud rolling in here, but this project has other red flags going up as well . French doors are generally extremely complicated, and throwing a sidelite on each side takes that up a notch, as does using a product that relatively "cost effective". I realize that this is on the DIY board, but hopefully whoever is doing the install (whether it is you are someone else) is extremely competent when it comes to hanging doors and general carpentry skills... Please don't take offense to that, but you really have your work cut out for you.
Thanks for the post. I'm hiring someone to install it I was asking because I have an engineer coming over and wanted to tell him whether it was going to be a complete opening, or if there were going to be studs. But from what you said it doesn't appear to matter, the header will be the same regardless.

What do you mean by "relatively cost effective"? Are you talking about french doors in general or Jeld Wen specifically? If the latter, what brands do you recommend? Thanks again!
SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Home Performance

Patio door question

Most of the better quality stuff will not be available from a box store, but you should be able to get it at a building supply house. I like provia, hmi, homeguard, and Polaris. I have also had relatively good luck with Pella's doors and thermatru as well as a more budget friendly option. TT can be hit or miss however depending on who is assembling/finishing them. Lowes stocks them now but I have not heard great things.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
SoxFan44 (06-21-2013)