Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

patio door in bedroom

Hello All

My master bedroom is in the basement and I am considering building a walkout patio (the basement is only half under ground) with either a sliding glass or french patio doors. I live in Canada so the winters a quite cold. Does anyone have any advice on ways to minimize the heat loss through the doors? Or ideas on heating the room in the most efficient way?

Thanks
-Johannes

johannes2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

patio door in bedroom

Don't skimp on the doors. Buy the best U-value doors you can afford (U is the inverse of the R-value so lower the better, ex. is a U of .2 = R-5). Insulated curtains for the winter and little things like bubble wrap on the glass during winter. a little sprayed water and the bubble wrap sticks. It boosts the R-value slightly.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

patio door in bedroom

If you went with french doors, you could add a nice set of full-view double-pane storm doors.
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
Home Performance

patio door in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
Don't skimp on the doors. Buy the best U-value doors you can afford (U is the inverse of the R-value so lower the better, ex. is a U of .2 = R-5). Insulated curtains for the winter and little things like bubble wrap on the glass during winter. a little sprayed water and the bubble wrap sticks. It boosts the R-value slightly.
I agree with the first part... On the second, just be prepared to see condensation with insulated curtains.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

patio door in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
I agree with the first part... On the second, just be prepared to see condensation with insulated curtains.
I've never had condensation issues with insulated curtains. I could see that being an issue if humidity levels inside the house were high, but I don't run a humidifier and don't have condensation.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Home Performance

patio door in bedroom

The surface temperature of the innermost pane of glass will play a large part in determining whether or not moisture will condensate on it. The level of RH in the air is only half of the equation. Insulated blinds/curtains, etc inhibit the flow of warm (heated) air over the glass, thereby causing the glass to be cooler and allowing condensation to occur at an even lower amount of humidity.... Ask me how I know this.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

patio door in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
The surface temperature of the innermost pane of glass will play a large part in determining whether or not moisture will condensate on it. The level of RH in the air is only half of the equation. Insulated blinds/curtains, etc inhibit the flow of warm (heated) air over the glass, thereby causing the glass to be cooler and allowing condensation to occur at an even lower amount of humidity.... Ask me how I know this.
Oh, I'm not arguing the physics behind your statement. Just that I've never actually had that problem and I've had sliding glass doors with insulated curtains through many a New England winter.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Home Performance

patio door in bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWhitehouse View Post
Oh, I'm not arguing the physics behind your statement. Just that I've never actually had that problem and I've had sliding glass doors with insulated curtains through many a New England winter.
If that is the case, you obviously have a pretty dry house and/or an efficient door unit.... Either that, or a profuse amount of air leakage in other areas for moisture to escape..... BTW, I am not trying to say for certain that anyone will have condensation when insulated blinds or curtains, my point was that it will increase the likelihood of it. Unfortunately many people dont realize this until after they have been purchased and installed--- especially when the measure is recommended without a disclaimer.