DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

overhead garage door

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  awdblazer 
#1 ·
i just bought a new overhead garage door
i am just wondering if i can just reuse the track and torsion spring with the new door?
thanks!

#4 ·
AW,
When I buy new garage doors from the wholesale suppliers, 80% of the cost of a new door is the sections. The track, springs, and hardware box are minor in comparison. If you picked up a new door, why didn't they sell you the track and hardware along with it?
Mike Hawkins:)

#13 ·
"awdblazer"

I just re-read your post.
"Torsion" springs!
If you have "torsion" springs and not "extension" springs -
Installing "torsion" springs can be a "DIY" project.
I wouldn't suggest it!

I've installed "torsion" springs and adjusted them - a long time ago.
Became friends with "pro" garage door installers -
They told me of the potential dangers of "playing" with them!
They play rough!!!
(Injury - death!)
I don't "play" with "torsion" springs anymore!

Install the door -
Then call a "pro" and have them adjust the springs -
Safer! :)
It'll, probably take them about, an hour.

rossfingal

#22 ·
I installed a windstorm rated garage door several years ago. It used the springs that are adjusted with a cordless drill, probably the same as what you have. Adjusting the tension was easy and exactly as described in the installation instructions. The install took me two days, but I'm very slow and there was a lot of extra bracing required that would not be part of a standard garage door.

Do you have another exit door in your garage? Assuming it assembles like mine, once you put the door sections together, you can not get out through the garage door until you are ready to raise it.

David

#15 ·
That type should be O.K. to DIY---the more common ones that take a rod or wrench to adjust are to dangerous for me----I once saw the adjusting rod stuck into the roofing 10 feet away when the pro lost grip----that thing would have changed his life if it hit him.

#16 ·
"awdbalzer"

The one's that you refer to, are a little more "user friendly".
They're somewhat, safer.
(Notice, I said "somewhat"!)
The potential power in one of those "torsion" springs is more then you
can imagine.
It's also very easy to over or under adjust those springs if you have
limited experience.
This can affect the longevity of the springs - the opener - and cause
problems: later, down the road.
The type of "torsion" springs (adjustable with a drill) can be "DIY".
Be careful!!! :)

rossfingal

#17 ·
well i just removed the spring and all the tracks, that was pretty easy, i would have thought there was more tension on that spring, but i guess a single car garage and non insulated made it lighter i guess
so this afternoon i tackle taking the old door down and installing the new one

#20 ·
The only part of an install that's a little tricky, is adjusting the springs so the door is balanced. At all points along the path, it should stay put when you let it go,as you raise or lower it, manually.

Reactions: rossfingal
#21 ·
yah with the ezspring it was easy
they had a recommended spring tension (11 1/4 turns) and that didnt hold the door, so i started to turn about 1/4 turn at a time and try
so i had about 12 turns and they say you can go -1/2 turn to +2 1/4 turns
very impressed with clopay products

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.