Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Share |

Outside Door Problem

Hi Everyone,

I've got an issue I need advice on.

I installed a new outside door about six months ago. The door is mostly under the carport, but under high winds, it can get wet, though it doesn't happen frequently.

So about a month ago, wife tells me this door is sticking badly. I get home, and see it's rubbing the frame badly. The frame was still plumb and straight so I check the door.

The side of the door was no longer straight and it's damp. It's at this time I learn that the door is a wood product sandwiched by metal. There's no metal on the edges. Since the wood was never painted, it's absorbed moisture.

So I sanded it down a little to make it fit better, but the door isn't drying out. I know I can't prime and paint something that is wet.

Any recommendations or am I replacing this door?

Thanks,
Tim

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #2

Outside Door Problem

Posting a picture is always nice.
May have to do some sanding so the door closes without draging before trying to seal it or it's just going to knock off the paint again.
I'd try a heat gun or a hair dryer.
The door is going to have to come off. It needs to be primed and seal on all the edges not just the faces.
The right way next time is to prime and paint the complete door before it's even installed.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote