Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Share |

Out of square window how best to install

This is really a continuation of another thread but I opened up a can of worms and this is another issue. Basically I have a double window (one top, one bottom) with a metal brace in the middle.

The original install was very sloppy and so I took everything out and redid the buck and the horizontal aluminum brace.

I fitted the bottom window and it works great. I then removed the bottom window and tried the top window.

Now, I checked, double checked, triple checked. The rectangular opening, the three sides, and the bottom aluminum brace, are all level and plumb.

However, when I fit the window in, it looks strange from the inside. There is a gap about 1/4"+ on the top edge on the left, and the left edge to the bottom, and the right edge to the top. Most of the time I would assume the window is square and the opening is not, but I checked, the opening is square, the window is not!

So first question, is 1/4" over a length of 24" out of square significant? Should I even worry about it?

I am sure after I finish it I wouldn't be able to tell visually along the edges, the only clue would be when I open or close the window all the way, one of the pane is not totally parallel with the other by the same amount.

Now normally I can fudge it a bit because I can shim a little here and there on four sides on a regular window, but this one has a metal brace it must attach to so it MUST be flush against that.

More pictures:

I even put a carpenter square to one side and you can see the sliver of space from top to bottom going from 0 to 1/4".

May be the original installer stretched the frame during installation and distorted it? Possible?

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

it really doesn't make much difference how it sits in the opening for anything but appearance, but it is important how the sashes sit within the frame. That is where you want consistent margins... If you open the window about a 1/4" and look at the margin from top to bottom between the sash and frame, it should be visible consistent. If not, it will not seal fully.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
it really doesn't make much difference how it sits in the opening for anything but appearance, but it is important how the sashes sit within the frame. That is where you want consistent margins... If you open the window about a 1/4" and look at the margin from top to bottom between the sash and frame, it should be visible consistent. If not, it will not seal fully.
Yes, if I slide the window open a little or all the way open, the "margin" as you called it is NOT consistent from top to bottom. One is 1/4" more than the other.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Home Performance

If that is the case, you are not going to get a good seal.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
If that is the case, you are not going to get a good seal.
OK thanks.

Is this a problem that can be repaired? I mean if I take this window to a window store can they fix it?
Old 04-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Home Performance

Either the frame is racked which can be addressed during installation, or the sashes aren't riding on a flat surface which is causing that. Based on your pics (especially number 2), it looks like something that you can fix with some strategic shimming. Put the level and the square back in your toolbox, and install the window looking only at those margins. To me, it looks like the upper left side needs to be shimmed over.