Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Old Wood Window Glazing?

I've been trying to research how to repair and restore my old windows but no one seams to have my same setup. Instead of a glazing putty, my windows have what appears to be a tiny wood strip of quarter-round outlining the window on the outside where you would normally expect to see glazing putty. Needless to say, it is falling apart in places and water gets in behind it as there is no complete seal. The previous owner did a sloppy job painting as well.

Just hoping maybe someone has run into this before or has a tip or idea on how to make this weather-tight. Caulk? Maybe just glaze over it? hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Wood Window Glazing?-img_4676.jpg   Old Wood Window Glazing?-img_4675.jpg   Old Wood Window Glazing?-img_4677.jpg  

tomdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Old Wood Window Glazing?

Most glazers will use silicons in lieu of glazing putty now.

That wood strip is a function glazing bead. I would remove it, clean the glass and the back side, apply a bedding bead of silicon, set and let the silicon squeeze out, let it cure and trim back.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

Old Wood Window Glazing?

Instead of just removing it and reinstalling it I would replace the trim with new moulding that's been primed and painted two coats on all sides. It would be a royal pain to try and strip the piece you have now.
Those nails have to be be nailed straight in to the rails, if you so much as touch the glass as there going in it will crack the windows.

Any reason why your not just replacing that whole window so you would never have to paint again?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #4

Old Wood Window Glazing?

Thank you both for your input. If I have time on Saturday I might try and start this pain in the @ss project by prying off the old beading and seeing what kind of condition it's in. I'm not sure I know where I can get replacement beading like this, although I haven't looked that much yet. Maybe a window shop?

As to why I can't replace the window--the house is in a historic district where you can't replace windows without spending $$$ for wood replacements. My plan is to repair the windows as best as I can, scrape, sand, prime, paint and then put storms up to take the brunt of the weather.
tomdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Old Wood Window Glazing?

Personally, I would remove the wood entirely and replace it with glazing putty. Putty is fast to apply and if done right will last a lifetime. If you watch and expert do it, applying it with the meat of their thumb, you'd be shocked at how fast it can be completed.

The benefit of glazing is that it fills the entire space, sheds water, seals tightly, and is paintable.

I would NOT under any circumstances replace it with more wood trim. That's just asking for more maintenance sooner rather than later down the road.

Here's a decent tutorial:

Last edited by Ironlight; 04-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
tomdor (04-12-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Old Wood Window Glazing?

Make a cut along the edge with a utility knife will make the job much easier

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
tomdor (04-12-2012)

Tags
glazing, old wood windows