Old Double Hungs - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

old double hungs

i have several double hung windows that need to be replaced i would like to replace with a tilt in double hung. the issue i have is the exterior is vinyl sided and the windows have a 1x5 (4 1/2") board on the outside holding the windows in place. j channel butts up to thge 1x surrounding the outside of the windows. so my question is, i want to put a new unit in that would butt up to the j channel and get rid of the 1x5 exterior trim but i don't want to peel the siding and j channel back to nail a flange from the new window unit, is there a unit that does not use the exterior flange for the install, i did replace the sashes years ago but now i want to replace the whole unit with say a narrow line style to match the rest of the windows in the house, but i don't want to peel the siding back or remove the j channel thank you

Advertisement

chairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 780

old double hungs

I have the same old windows. You should have framing there that a new const. window can be be attached to inside the line of the j channel. But you will have to figure out a way to fill in the gap that will look ok and caulk the pee-waddin out of it.

Advertisement

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 580

old double hungs

Got a picture both inside and out?
Trying to figure out how you plan on removing the outside trim and making up for that gap once it's gone.
By far the most damage I've seen done to outside walls around a window is from what's called flat jamb windows like I think your suggesting.
Just no great way to air and water seal by just counting on J moulding and caulking. Caulking always fails at some point and may trap the leaking water behind it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 780

old double hungs

These old windows are attached only by this trim. Like a nailing flange. Top and both sides, nothing at the bottem. I wouldn't worry so much about getting a good seal as getting it to look right. The bottem would not have any margin.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote