Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

old anderson sashes coming apart

We have some 1977 Anderson single hung windows. A few of the sashes are coming apart. Gaps in the corners. The sashes are wood, but the frames are vinyl.

Can I just get some vices and squeeze them back together, or is this a lot more complicated than that? Surprisingly, I couldn't find much on the internet about this. Replacement windows are coming in the future, but not for another year or two.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
DIY staff

Going to need a picture---if the wood is rotting and puffing up the vinyl skin---you are in for some advanced cabinet work---the wood will need to be replaced.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

It's not in great shape but its not rotted and swollen either.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
DIY staff

Remove the sashes and see what's going on---the wood looks good--perhaps some regluing is all that is needed.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
STAFF

It looks like the wood was stained before the window was assembled, if so it may be best to scrape some of the finish off where the glue can get a firm grip.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

+1

Those windows are pretty straightforward when it comes to getting them out.

Before I invested a bunch of time and effort fixing them, I would check into and see what they have (Andersen) in terms of replacement parts with updated glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
+1

Those windows are pretty straightforward when it comes to getting them out.

Before I invested a bunch of time and effort fixing them, I would check into and see what they have (Andersen) in terms of replacement parts with updated glass.
Ah replacement sashes? I've read about this. Cheaper than replacement windows? I can hopefully get double pane energy efficient types? I called one local Anderson dealer and they were very coy. Special order, long lead time (several months), wouldn't give me a ballpark quote, wanted me to basically go through the entire order process first.

Maybe it's time to make some more calls? If replacement sashes were under $100 I could probably act swiftly, but the vibe I got was that they are a lot more than that.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateuralex View Post
Ah replacement sashes? I've read about this. Cheaper than replacement windows? I can hopefully get double pane energy efficient types? I called one local Anderson dealer and they were very coy. Special order, long lead time (several months), wouldn't give me a ballpark quote, wanted me to basically go through the entire order process first.

Maybe it's time to make some more calls? If replacement sashes were under $100 I could probably act swiftly, but the vibe I got was that they are a lot more than that.
Yep, shop around. When I get someone that wants to put me through the whole process I usually tell them, either give me a ballpark to see if it's worth continuing or I'll go buy the whole deal elsewhere. Cut to the chase.

I'd still run the numbers elsewhere though.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
It looks like the wood was stained before the window was assembled, if so it may be best to scrape some of the finish off where the glue can get a firm grip.
Now that you mention it, it sure does eh? That might explain why they are coming apart. That's just the kind of amateur crap I see all over this house lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amateuralex For This Useful Post:
BigJim (06-08-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #10

Call A/W and they can sell you new sash if thats the way you want to go. If your frames are in good condition, I would just get a conversion kit. It will basically make that DH window into a tilt wash DH. If you have grilles in the windows, they would not work with a conversion kit. Those Narroline DH windows are a pain in the sack to install if you don't know what you are doing, but the conversion kit is pretty user friendly for installation.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateuralex View Post
Now that you mention it, it sure does eh? That might explain why they are coming apart. That's just the kind of amateur crap I see all over this house lol.

Andersen windows are not exactly top of the line, neither is Crestline from my examinations of them at Menards, so it doesn't surprise me they are coming apart. I compared these with Pella on the shelf and the Pella windows were much better construction.
The Crestline widow I looked at was like $50 cheaper but it was made of part chipboard or plywood I forget now, stapled together and given white primer and just bare stacked on the shelf. The Pella window was solid lumber, joined well, and shipped to Menards in a shrink wrap/cardboard protector with extra corner protectors.

Most of the times going cheap by replacing just parts gets you substandard end results. The people who had my house before me replaced all the window sashes and used vinyl tracks, cheap junk then and cheaper junk later when the windows wouldn't stay up and were either loose or too tight to open.
I replaced all of the windows frames and all completely, I think doing any less is not going to be satisfactory, but if you plan to sell the house in 2-5 years it doesn't matter.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-16-2013)