Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

New Window for Addition

I'm closing in my garage and am at the stage where I need to choose a window. I really need some opinions on brands. I've looked at several, but have narrowed it down to Jeld Wen, Reliabilt (both carried by Lowes) and Showcase (carried by a window distributor). I'm leaning toward Showcase.

The showcase looks pretty good and is competively priced with Reliabilt. It doesn't seem to be all that well known, but I was impressed with the data they supplied at their website. Any opinions in these or other brands? I'm hoping to order this week, as it will take 2 or 3 weeks to get in.

Thanks for any input!

Relevant facts:
R.O.: 72"w x 44"h (twin, mulled)
Single (maybe double depending on price) hung
Vinyl
New construction (bare stud wall. Will receive bricks)
LowE Argon
DP 35>

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Window for Addition

Most big box windows are builders quality(cheap) stuff that I don't recommend, even for a garage. On the other hand, an unconditioned garage does not need a top quality window. Attached garage??? If yes, you want something that matches the house.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

New Window for Addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Most big box windows are builders quality(cheap) stuff that I don't recommend, even for a garage. On the other hand, an unconditioned garage does not need a top quality window. Attached garage??? If yes, you want something that matches the house.
Hi Bill. Thanks for your remarks. Actually, it won't be unconditioned garage, it will be an office that gets much use with it's own central A/C system, bathroom, etc. I'd like the best, but have to work within a budget. $600 is doable. And yes, attached with adjacent windows (all, including new window, face front [west]), which were put in before we bought the house a few years ago. I doubt they're top of the line, though. The showcase isn't from big box, but I do have my misgivings about them. Weeping holes, for one thing. I want to do it once and don't want issues. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

New Window for Addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
Hi Bill. Thanks for your remarks. Actually, it won't be unconditioned garage, it will be an office that gets much use with it's own central A/C system, bathroom, etc. I'd like the best, but have to work within a budget. $600 is doable. And yes, attached with adjacent windows (all, including new window, face front [west]), which were put in before we bought the house a few years ago. I doubt they're top of the line, though. The showcase isn't from big box, but I do have my misgivings about them. Weeping holes, for one thing. I want to do it once and don't want issues. Thanks.
Most windows are not pocket sill window. I think the Reliabilt is still a sloped sill window. Don't confuse the drains for the screen track with being weep holes.

That window size 44w by 72h is pretty large for a single unit and may have operation issues in the long term.

I would go with a twin double hung unit.

In terms of materials, what do you want? If you want a wood window, the Andersen 400 is a pretty solid unit that can be purchased via the big box stores.

If you are okay with vinyl, look at the Simonton via Home Depot or you are certainly encouraged to look at window distributors/building supply houses.

Is the window coastal? Where is the home located? That will dictate if you are okay with standard Low-e or need a low SHGC low-e range.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #5

New Window for Addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Most windows are not pocket sill window. I think the Reliabilt is still a sloped sill window. Don't confuse the drains for the screen track with being weep holes.
The salesman called them weep holes, although I'm not too sure about his knowledge of the product.

Quote:
That window size 44w by 72h is pretty large for a single unit and may have operation issues in the long term.

I would go with a twin double hung unit.
I've been getting prices on twin single hung. I started getting prices on DH, but it was a few hundred more, and truth is, there are only a few times of the year where I can open windows anyway, so DH is not essential.

Quote:

In terms of materials, what do you want? If you want a wood window, the Andersen 400 is a pretty solid unit that can be purchased via the big box stores.

If you are okay with vinyl, look at the Simonton via Home Depot or you are certainly encouraged to look at window distributors/building supply houses.
Yes, vinyl. The other windows that were replaced are SH vinyl. The one adjacent to the new window is twin, SH, vinyl. I framed the new R.O. to the same size. I've been to HD in my area. I wans't aware they had Simonton. I got prices on American Craftsman (Anderson) and Jeld-Wen.

Quote:
Is the window coastal? Where is the home located? That will dictate if you are okay with standard Low-e or need a low SHGC low-e range.
SE Louisiana. The prices I've gotten include Low E, argon, energystar, southern zone.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

New Window for Addition

Make sure you get a low SHGC range (i.e. Low-e 366 or Solarban 70XL).
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

New Window for Addition

Thank you. This is the window I'll likely go with. It has the features you mention and is heavier than any others I've looked at:

http://www.showcasewindows.com/single-hung

I will be buying it from a local window company and installing it myself (w/the help of an experienced friend). Again, thanks for your comments.