Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #1

Share |

New weatherstrip for sliding glass door

Hello all,

I've been lurking for a while and finally have an issue that I can't seem to find. I've been working on getting my kitchen ready for paint and wanted to clean up the sliding glass door. While giving it a good once over I found that the previous owner had everything painted. All of the weatherstripping was painted and in some places was caulked as well. Subsequently the weatherstripping is in bad shape and needs to be replaced. The problem is I don't know who made the door. I highly doubt it's an Andersen window since the glass is not etched with AW. The windows are etched with the following:

Gaurdian
Carelton, Mich
ANSI Z97.1-198
SGCC.933-178
16 CFR 1201 11 (Hard to read)
GGSB 12-GP-4
Safety Tempered

The door hardware looks like generic big box store hardware so that isn't any help. Thoughts?

I will try to take some pictures of the weatherstrip profiles.

info2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #2

A picture of the door and the seal I'm sure will help.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Guardian is likely the glass manufacturer.

Can you open the door an look on the jamb sides to see if you can find any labels there?

Pictures, as Joe mentioned, are helpful too!
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

I'm under the assumption that Guardian is the glass maker as well. Most of my searches have come up with nothing except a glass maker and local door shops that don't seem to have anything remotely like what I have.

Pictures

This is the aluminum channel that goes on the interior side, held in by several screws. It's the same for both top, left, and right sides.

This is the weatherstripping that goes on the bottom in between the two panels. It just pushes in.

This is the weatherstripping that goes on the top between the two panels. Again there are no fasteners for this one.

This is the weatherstripping that goes on either side of the casing again between the panels.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Here are some more pictures:

Handle set:

Interlock weatherstrip:

Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

I just ordered a bunch of parts from these guys and they were super helpful.

Not sure if they would have that stuff but they are worth a shot.

https://www.blainewindow.com/
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Thanks. I found them during my search and have sent them a bunch of pictures. We'll see what they come back with. Hopefully it's good news.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

By now I would have ripped out that old door and just replaced it with a new and better one.
That way I know it's not going to leak and would have a whole new roller system.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #9

Well Blaine didn't come up with anything .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
By now I would have ripped out that old door and just replaced it with a new and better one.
That way I know it's not going to leak and would have a whole new roller system.
I typically would be all for it, but money is on the tighter side right now since I'm getting married in about a week. The door didn't have any leaks when I started and the rollers were in good shape, hell those are easy to replace anyways. In the grand scheme I'm trying to get the walls and windows up to snuff in the kitchen because overall while I might no like the cabinets the layout is good and it isn't falling apart. I have other parts of the house (and garage) that I'd rather spend the big bucks on. Like I said 9/10 times I'm right there with you.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

By the time you do track down all the stuff and replace it, you might have more time and resources in the retrofit of and old door though.

Keep that in mind but I applaud your less than throw away attitude. Too bad most of the good made today are not as well built and inclined to be repairable.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #11

Yeah I know. It comes down to what is my time worth compared to the just putting new unit in, I'm still wrestling with that. I just hate to get rid of an otherwise good door because some bits of vinyl are crapping out.