DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New replacement window problems

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  iminaquagmire 
#1 ·
So I started to replace one of my basement windows tonight with a new Jeld-Wen vinyl replacement but ran into a big problem. In the process of ordering them, a mistake was made and they used the rough opening dimension (was contemplating redoing the whole window and using nailing flange windows). I must have glossed over this in agreeing to the window and the deal is done and I'm stuck with windows too big for the opening.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but a few years ago we had the house resided and all the windows flashed to match (the basement windows were the only ones not replaced at the time). So the outside of the house is vinyl siding into j-channel around aluminum flashing. I had planned to recaulk the flashing to the new replacement windows but with the new windows being too big, the flashing meets the window panes and I have no window frame to flash to.

So my plan is to completely remove the old window and aluminum flashing. Then either use brick mould or my own shaped PVC moulding to make a new frame for my replacement window to sit against. Not sure if the rough opening needs to be enlarged or not yet.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to make this weathertight since I'll have to remove the old window remnants likely including its nailing flange. Does caulk behind and sealing and gaps in the trim sound good enough? I'll also be wrapping the rough opening with grace wrap as far as I can and putting a drip cap on top of whatever window frame/moulding I put up.

I know this sounds confusing but I guess what I'm asking is is it possible to install a replacement window into a new construction opening and have it be watertight somehow?

I'll try to get some pictures of the windows to be replaced and my attempt at fixing my mistake.

See less See more
#2 ·
I know this sounds confusing but I guess what I'm asking is is it possible to install a replacement window into a new construction opening and have it be watertight somehow?
Absolutely yes
I looked at a job the other day where people had ordered windows them selves and mixed up the brickmold size with frame size and they would not fit in the opening and could not be returned. I simply removed all of the vinyl brickmold for them and they installed them in the opening.
Wether its new constuction or replacement the only real difference is the installation technique, not the product.
I have replaced windows with new construction windows and vice versa

#3 ·
So far I removed the old window and trimmed back the new and old siding back to the celotex sheathing. I resized the sill and wrapped the opening with Grace wrap. I've mounted the window too. Now I just have to make a new jamb and casing using some PVC trim and put some j-channel around the opening to keep the vinyl siding in place. I think I've got it figured out. Pictures to come.

#5 ·
IT WORKS! I started by removing the rest of the old window and trimming the new and old siding to fit the exterior window frame.

Wrapped with ice and water which is not complete in this pic.

And installed new window to opening. I then made a frame from ripped down PVC 1x4 and PVC brickmold. It got all caulked in place to the wall and window itself and screwed into the framing. I still have to caulk for aesthetics and put the J-channel in which I need to order in the siding color.

Window and siding guys should be here shortly though since I think I'm going to hire out the other two and all the siding repairs. Probably have them wrap with color matched aluminum and finish all the caulking too. I simply have too much on my plate right now.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I had to add another 2x4 to the existing sill plate, I sloped that 2x4. There will be a head flashing bent to fit over my casing. The siding will get pulled back to fit J-channel behind it. Then the whole thing is getting wrapped in aluminum to match the other windows. I had planned on doing the this all myself but I've been overruled. Which is fine with me since I have a ridiculous amount of work to do in the next 3 weeks without having this still to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.