New Patio Door Help - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

New patio door help

Hi guys so I had a new sliding door installed and now I'm trying to figure out how to finish it up. It was a favor for the guys to install it so I told them I would drywall it paint it etc. The only stumper is how do i border the framed in door( excuse the wording if not correct). I've attached photos for reference. You guys have really been helpful btw!
Attached Images

Advertisement

Aloha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

New patio door help

Needs wallboard finished on both sides and a partial jamb that sits against the door's frame and laps the edge of the wallboard. Then, casing on top of that.

Hopefully a standard jamb stock will lap the foam gap enough. If not a wider jambside will be required.

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

New patio door help

Bud's got it... You should have asked them to bring the door in flush with the drywall so that you could just add casing and be done. As it is, you can add wood as a jamb extension/return in combination with casing, or do a drywall return and use no wood at all. Personally, I prefer the look of wood trim.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #4

New patio door help

I actually placed drywall. Should I redo it and leave more surface on stud next to foam or the way drywall is fine?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 622

New patio door help

The vinyl jam needs to be extended out so it's even with the main face (not the tapered edge) of the sheetrock before the casing goes on.
Just measure the thickness needed and attact that thickness of wood to the jam, leaving it back from the edge of the jam by an even amout. If it's 1/2" a ripped piece of wood primed baseboard will work as a jam extention.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-21-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #6

New patio door help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
The vinyl jam needs to be extended out so it's even with the main face (not the tapered edge) of the sheetrock before the casing goes on.
Just measure the thickness needed and attact that thickness of wood to the jam, leaving it back from the edge of the jam by an even amout. If it's 1/2" a ripped piece of wood primed baseboard will work as a jam extention.
So Joe,
I should redo sheetrock so untappered edge is along frame?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #7

New patio door help

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed
Bud's got it... You should have asked them to bring the door in flush with the drywall so that you could just add casing and be done. As it is, you can add wood as a jamb extension/return in combination with casing, or do a drywall return and use no wood at all. Personally, I prefer the look of wood trim.
Hey home sealed,

Just wanna make sure I get this right. Place a thin strip of wood on top of vinyl frame so it same level as sheetrock? Won't there still be raised edge on vinyl now? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Home Performance

New patio door help

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "raised edge" on the vinyl... Basically, if the door is flush with the face of the 2 x4's and if you used 1/2" drywall, you need to add a jamb ext to the door roughly 1/2-5/8" (because of the tapered drywall edge). The goal is to have the door on the same plane as the drywall. Since the door is not going to move, you need to add a piece (jamb ext) to do so... Does that make more sense?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Home Performance

New patio door help

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/im...L2-mYfiyvPYBBg

Advertisement