DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   New interior doors and jambs (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/new-interior-doors-jambs-175851/)

eveready11 03-29-2013 11:20 PM

New interior doors and jambs
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am putting in new doors and door jambs and have come across a problem after removing the old jambs. I am left with these metal brackets that were used to plumb the old jamb. I do not know how to remove them. They are nailed into the stud and drywall very solid. There's no way I could claw out the nails without ruining the drywall. Actually i cant grasp the head of the nail regardless. What are my options and what tools would I need?

Windows on Wash 03-29-2013 11:43 PM

Will the new pre hung clear those brackets? If so, leave them in.

joecaption 03-29-2013 11:46 PM

http://www.bing.com/shopping/stanley...lppc=undefined

eveready11 03-29-2013 11:54 PM

The previous door was cut down, so the brackets need to be removed for proper fit.

No pry bar will get under the mail or bracket to pry it out. Attempts at this would destroy the drywall.

Would a reciprocal saw cut through the bracket?

TheEplumber 03-30-2013 12:30 AM

I'd use a good cats paw and pull the nails or maybe an angle grinder and grind the heads off

joecaption 03-30-2013 12:34 AM

The trim is going to cover up what minor damage will be done to the drywall.
You drive the bar in from the top and the bottom not the sides.

eveready11 03-30-2013 12:39 AM

I can't get the nails to move. I used a flat bar to yank on the bracket and the result is the attached pic.

eveready11 03-30-2013 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by eveready11
I can't get the nails to move. I used a flat bar to yank on the bracket and the result is the attached pic.

Here's the pic.

one cut 04-14-2013 02:42 PM

A stiletto cats paw would make quick work of those brackets. Although you will have some trouble with all of your coworkers always asking to borrow it.

jsbuilders 04-14-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1148824)
I'd use a good cats paw and pull the nails or maybe an angle grinder and grind the heads off

Bingo.

joecaption 04-14-2013 02:45 PM

http://www.bing.com/shopping/10-in-e...iers&FORM=HURE

eveready11 04-14-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks everybody. I managed this although the nails were so difficult to remove because they were threaded.

I just used a nail puller that looks like a screwdriver to get a start on it and a hammer did the rest. Tore up the drywall a bit.

hand drive 04-14-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eveready11 (Post 1159105)
Thanks everybody. I managed this although the nails were so difficult to remove because they were threaded.

I just used a nail puller that looks like a screwdriver to get a start on it and a hammer did the rest. Tore up the drywall a bit.


the screwdriver type puller sounds like a tack claw, one of the most used tools in my arsenal when doing repairs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.