Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

New Garage Door

Hey all, we are thinking of getting a new garage door. The one we have now is a thin, steel, uninsulated model probably from around 1985-1990.

We got one quote from a local independent garage installer who uses Amarr brand doors. I liked his numbers, and the upper end, fully insulated model looked good. He said he'd completely replace the track and the springs.

About the insulation....I was thinking that aside from keeping the garage itself warmer, the reason the garage is warm at all is because the heat is coming from my house, so shouldn't insulation in the garage reduce my overall energy bill a bit?

Any comments about Amarr? What about Clopay, the Home Depot brand? Any other comments or info you can share?

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

New Garage Door

Should have little or no effect.
The garage if built correctly should be completely air sealed from the house.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Metal Roofing

New Garage Door

We just got a new door the beginning of the summer, it is an Amarr and I am pretty happy with it. I would do it again if I had to. I found a local company that installs them and they just happen to be the best price by 250 for the same door. I haven't noticed any change in the power bill, the ext garage walls here have Zero insulation though.

Oddly my local guy also does Clopay, I would wager they are both quality doors...I wouldn't buy a door from HD.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

New Garage Door

We have used Clopay for our clients with success. Very solid door.

Joe is right in that your insulation layer is supposed to be at the wall between the garage and the home.

Adding the insulated doors will help keep the garage more temperate and will therefore reduce the heat loss from the home as a result of a more air tight and insulated door.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote