New Entry Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New entry door

My door doesn't seal very well and keeps freezing shut, should in stick it out till summer to change it? Or is it ok to change it in the winter?

Advertisement

listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

New entry door

There certainly isn't any reason why you can't change out a door this time of year. Whether you do it now or wait is up to you.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
listo (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

New entry door

I didn't think there would be an issue but thought I'd make sure
Old 01-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

New entry door

Why not post some pictures and tell us what it's doing in more detail. May be able to fix instead of replace.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #5

New entry door

Can't post pics I'm 10 hours away.

It keeps building ice up on the bottom of the door,the frame at the bottom and sides swells all the time and it doesn't seal properly all the way around pretty much, never has.
They're pretty old and I've wanted to replace them for awhile now
Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

New entry door

Best to hire someone to rip it out and install a new door properly. If they did not use Door & Window foam around it, before putting back on the trim, or it is getting direct rainfall or water on it a lot, the wood will swell.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

New entry door

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Best to hire someone to rip it out and install a new door properly. If they did not use Door & Window foam around it, before putting back on the trim, or it is getting direct rainfall or water on it a lot, the wood will swell.
always surprised to see "Hire Someone" on a DIY forum. replacing a door is not difficult. Plenty of information to do it correctly and get it working and sealing properly.

I wouldnt do it in January only because it is single digits in the midwest and having that big opening letting all my heat out would drive me nuts.

Could build a temporary barrier out of 4x8 sheets of foam to keep heat in while the old door is out and new getting prepped to be put in
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to What have I done For This Useful Post:
listo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

New entry door

Quote:
Originally Posted by What have I done View Post
always surprised to see "Hire Someone" on a DIY forum. replacing a door is not difficult. Plenty of information to do it correctly and get it working and sealing properly.

I wouldnt do it in January only because it is single digits in the midwest and having that big opening letting all my heat out would drive me nuts.

Could build a temporary barrier out of 4x8 sheets of foam to keep heat in while the old door is out and new getting prepped to be put in
The OP stated that they live 10 hours away from this structure. Their only choice is going to be to hire someone to go and replace that door.

That is like me getting off of work, and driving from Springfield, IL to Land O'Lakes, WI. Then turning around after working for four hours and driving back. Both ways are around ten hours.

Some things you have to hire out, when you do not live there or have the time to go take a couple of days and go fix.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
listo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

New entry door

Lol I guess I was unclear, I work 10 hours from home but am on my way there now actually and I'll be home for a week so ill have time to do it then. I just meant I couldn't take pictures right then. I suppose I could have got my ol lady to take some. Hope she doesn't read that lol
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

New entry door

Quote:
Originally Posted by listo View Post
Lol I guess I was unclear, I work 10 hours from home but am on my way there now actually and I'll be home for a week so ill have time to do it then. I just meant I couldn't take pictures right then. I suppose I could have got my ol lady to take some. Hope she doesn't read that lol
Most likely at this point if the wood framing has swollen so much, that it has warped it, you may end up having to pull the whole unit and install a new one properly.

If done by manufacturer directions, the wood framing should never swell up, or warp. But also in your situation, because you are again 10 hours away from the structure, this is one of those times, when you may want to just hire it out, so you can then do other stuff, then deal with a whole day or two wasted, dealing with this door.
listo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #11

New entry door

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Most likely at this point if the wood framing has swollen so much, that it has warped it, you may end up having to pull the whole unit and install a new one properly.

If done by manufacturer directions, the wood framing should never swell up, or warp. But also in your situation, because you are again 10 hours away from the structure, this is one of those times, when you may want to just hire it out, so you can then do other stuff, then deal with a whole day or two wasted, dealing with this door.
Ya I was thinking that too, haven't decided yet
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

New entry door

Quote:
Ya I was thinking that too, haven't decided yet
Every time we go to Wisconsin, it takes me about a day to recover from nine hours in the car. I always have a list from my in-laws of stuff to help my father in-law with. Last time was helping with moving in a new fridge, due to the old one went out.

Usually it is something like helping to change the oil in the Snow blower or Brush hog, or helping to gather up any brush, to be burnt in the burning bin.

One year, got up there and had to put in a whole new bathroom faucet and drain, and replace the motor in the bathroom fart fan.

I would have the wife get the door that you give her the model or SKU on, then find a buddy that owes you a favor, to come over and pull out the old and put in the new, if the frame is that badly warped & swollen. If not and can just be fixed by pulling the door, and then removing any screws from the hinges & striker plates, then shimming true, you may get off easy.

This is something worth showing the wife how to do, so that she does not wait for you to come home to do these chores.
listo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #13

New entry door

Lol fart fan
Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

New entry door

Quote:
Lol fart fan
Tell the wife that, she will give you this wtf look. But really that is what they are in there for, even though sometimes you wonder if they are doing their job, after some are done in the bathroom.

I swear there are some gals in my office who stink worse after doing #2, when going to the bathroom then the guys.
listo (01-13-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #15

New entry door

Weather was nice so i just changed out the old wood thresholds with new metal and plastic one's that won't swell and hopefully won't stick,at least not as bad, also threw a storm door on the one door so that should help i hope.

Advertisement