Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

new construction windows in an old house

Hello. I am going to be putting some new construction windows in an old house. I will be removing the aluminum window frames and wood frame down to the rough opening. The nailing flange in the old windows is nailed directly to the studs with the siding overlapping the flange. There is no plywood sheathing. My questions is: what is the best way to install the new windows? Should I nail the new flange to the siding and flash over the top? Or should i cut back some of the siding and nail the flange to the studs as was done previously? Should i try to remove the siding and replace over the flange? Thanks.

homehobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #2

Posting a picture is always nice.
Is this a wood sided home?
Why are you installing new constrution Instead of replacement windows?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
AHH, SPANS!!!

for a new construction window you will have to treat it as new construction and remove any siding in the way of installing the window and then re-side tight to the window sealing everything up.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

in my old house. the rough opening for the windows is not even close to the size of the window. you "may" have to do some framing.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Fixnit did you order the windows to size or just buy off the shelve?
Wondering why yours were so far off. All the windows I buy are made to the size I ask for.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

it is a wood sided house. no sheathing underneath. so the consensus is to remove the siding enough to nail the flange to the framing and put siding back up to window? seems like alot of work to remove that much siding, and costly. what is wrong with nailing flange directly to siding and using flashing tape and well-caulked trim?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

How would you fill in 1/2 gaps every 5" or so?
The top and bottom pieces would be sitting at an angle so you would have to shim them to sit flat.
Now a great way to do it.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homehobby View Post
Hello. I am going to be putting some new construction windows in an old house. I will be removing the aluminum window frames and wood frame down to the rough opening. The nailing flange in the old windows is nailed directly to the studs with the siding overlapping the flange. There is no plywood sheathing. My questions is: what is the best way to install the new windows? Should I nail the new flange to the siding and flash over the top? Or should i cut back some of the siding and nail the flange to the studs as was done previously? Should i try to remove the siding and replace over the flange? Thanks.
When you plan to pull the old windows how will you pull the flange from behind the siding? is there brickmolding or any other type of exterior window trim around the windows ?
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Without some pictures everyones going to just be guessing all day long.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post pics tonight.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #11

You can take a metal sawzall blade and cut through 1 side, hammer claw those 2 peices out then claw the top down the bottom up and pry the other side out once bottom and top are gone.
But that doesnt help you install the new ones lol
homehobby (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

Ok, some pics are attached: i have removed one side of the trim for better viewing of the situation. bottom line is siding is directly attached to framing. it is an old house so i dont think there is house wrap or flashing, just some caulking.

Regarding removal, one window has the flange outside the siding so it is easy to remove. the other window will take some work. thanks to hammer450 for the suggestion...

Regarding installation, is there anyway to do this without removing siding?

Here is a thread with some tips to waterproof directly to the siding: link

thanks for all your tips, i am obviously new at this but love the challenge!
Attached Thumbnails
new construction windows in an old house-photo.jpg   new construction windows in an old house-photo-1-.jpg  

Last edited by homehobby; 08-21-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

sorry, link didn't work and pics are rotated the wrong way, but hopefully you get the picture (haha)

try: www.houserepairtalk dot com/f10/how-flash-mount-new-window-install-only-t1-11-siding-no-sheathing-6130/

copy address to browser (and replace "dot" with ".") sorry, I can't seem to link directly.

Last edited by homehobby; 08-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Haverhill Trade 1965

That appears to be texture 1-11, siding & sheathing at once. My guess is that this was an unheated camp. Maybe use the window as a guide for the small side of the circular saw table, cut all around & remove old window. install new window, put a thinner strip into the cutout and case over it. I would use calk at every joint and all back edges of casing. Best caulking is elastomeric. OSI, True value has one, Agent Orange has one made by Dap but not sure of the name. All have a flammable warning. If not it isn't elastomeric. Those holes from the grooves MUST be calked to make watertight and keep ants out. sometimes you can make a saw cut in the siding at the top and get a piece of drip cap in, but it isn't easy.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Fixnit did you order the windows to size or just buy off the shelve?
Wondering why yours were so far off. All the windows I buy are made to the size I ask for.
i special ordered "minimum egress" sized sliders, cocoa, 52"w x 45"w.
they seems kinda large when i was measuring for them. but now that one is in, they are a great size.

anyway. the old windows were narrow and tall. i couldn't put ANY furniture in front of them, they were so low to the floor. i wanted what i wanted, so i framed the RO for the new windows.

i just today moved my office into this room. as saturday i have a crew coming over to demo the office room

pic 1 is the office . a mirror of this room.
pic 2 is this room, all stripped except the original window. you can see how the RO is a lot larger than the window.
pic 3 new window installed and drywalled, but not finished.
Attached Thumbnails
new construction windows in an old house-img_1813.jpg   new construction windows in an old house-img_1804.jpg   new construction windows in an old house-img_1814.jpg  

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote