Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Construction Windows

Soooo many windows out there my head is spinning. Looking for an honest opinion of what window to use. I was leaning towards Andersen 400 Woodwrights but I'm just not sure. Its a colonial home so I could go with wood or vinyl. I'm just looking for a good solid window without going over my budget and having to deal with issues for a while. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Ranhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

New Construction Windows

I can't comment on your budget, but I have been happy with the Eagle Talon windows I recently put in (both new work and replacement..) They are Aluminum clad with wood interiors..

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 574

New Construction Windows

I'm a fan of vinyl, although if you want wood, the Andersen 400's are pretty universally liked. If you are considering vinyl, look at Okna, Gorell, and Sunrise to start.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-28-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,968

New Construction Windows

You are building the home or renovating it?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #5

New Construction Windows

Building a new home
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

New Construction Windows

I like the vinyl option as well. In my opinion a good vinyl window for your money are the Ply Gems.
RB101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

New Construction Windows

Ok you already prepared a preliminary budget on how much you can afford to spend. This will determine the different window materials, designs and features that will be in your price range.

Before you buy anything consider what you want your new windows to do. Are they to be an architectural design feature or merely provide functionality? Decide whether you would like the windows to open and close, and how they should operate then contact several replacement window vendors and installers for quotes and discuss the various window types that the vendors offer and the merits and costs of each: wood frames, wood that is vinyl clad or wood that is aluminum clad. Vinyl and aluminum clad windows do not require painting, so they are low maintenance. However, vinyl clad windows are not always available in a wide range of colors, so don't assume you can get a particular shade unless you want white.

You should also discuss the energy efficiency options (such as standard insulated glass and low-e glass) offered by the vendors. Look into low-e window coatings (a window coating that reduces heat loss through the glass while at the same time allowing heat from the sun to penetrate) or gas filled windows (argon or krypton inserted between double glazing which reduces heat loss). Work the additional cost of these features into the context of the estimated savings on your heating and cooling bills. Do the expected savings justify the extra cost? Yes aluminum and vinyl window frames may be less expensive than wood clad vinyl or aluminum, but they won't provide the same insulating capabilities.

Ask the vendor/installers for references and check them: Were past customers happy with the work done? Was the work completed in a timely manner? Have they had any problems since the installation? Did the contractor leave the site in a clean and undamaged condition? Also check with the Better Business Bureau to see if there have been any complaints lodged against them. If everything checks out then you can select a vendor/installer based upon price, window type, references and your impressions of them and make sure that the vendor/installer offers guarantee(s). Sign a contract for the work. If ordering the windows separately from a vendor, make sure that the installer has signed off on the list to verify that the windows specified are correct also make sure that the installer is properly insured and don’t forget to get a valid certificate of insurance from the contractor before you pay any money or before the work begins.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

New Construction Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranhome View Post
Building a new home
What is the exterior of the home going to be? Siding, Stucco, Brick, etc?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,018

New Construction Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranhome View Post
Soooo many windows out there my head is spinning. Looking for an honest opinion of what window to use. I was leaning towards Andersen 400 Woodwrights but I'm just not sure. Its a colonial home so I could go with wood or vinyl. I'm just looking for a good solid window without going over my budget and having to deal with issues for a while. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.
I believe there are windows that have vinyl on the exterior, and wood on the interior. I would go with those.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

New Construction Windows

Whats your budget?
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #11

New Construction Windows

The house is going to be cedar impressions and cultured stone... Think I have it finalized to Simonton 5500s with the nail fin the Ply Gem Pro Series and also looked at the Marvin Integrities... The Simontons and Ply Gems are close in price and a pretty equal product. So that may be a tough choice and the Marvin Integrities are about $5000.00 more not sure if its worth it. Thanks to all who have responded!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

New Construction Windows

If you want that wood interior, the look of Integrity is tough to beat.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Home Performance

New Construction Windows

The Integrity is a great option for wood. Your two vinyl choices are solid as well.... It really just depends what your priorities are.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

New Construction Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
The Integrity is a great option for wood. Your two vinyl choices are solid as well.... It really just depends what your priorities are.
Agreed. Although I believe plygem is on the wrong track with their company and will be gone in a few years....which means no warranty.

Siminton's are mainly what we sell because of their price point. There is no doubt IMO, that the Integrity is a little better. If it's worth it, that's up to you. For myself personally it's not, but I don't live in a highly upscale neighborhood or home.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Home Performance

New Construction Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Agreed. Although I believe plygem is on the wrong track with their company and will be gone in a few years....which means no warranty.

Siminton's are mainly what we sell because of their price point. There is no doubt IMO, that the Integrity is a little better. If it's worth it, that's up to you. For myself personally it's not, but I don't live in a highly upscale neighborhood or home.
I cant disagree with Plygem;s direction as they seem to be watering down their offerings to some extent, going for profitability over innovation... That doesn't necessarily spell destruction in this day and age, however.... That is one massive corporation that is still aquiring smaller companies, as opposed to liquidating. Product has fallen from "A" to "B" over the years, but I just don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.