Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 518

New Construction Measurment

Ok, almost there guys...just have to order it. As I am sure you know my extg. window is about 33x53 and I am replacing it with a bigger window. I am buying the Softlite Barington and they guy asked for the measurements. If we want the actual window(viewing area) 45"Wx 55" what measurements would I give him? Slightly bigger? Idk if the measurements they require are flange to flange etc. The new frame and header is not built yet. Thanks.

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 02-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 524

I would strongly recommend discussing this with your installer, as he is the one that will be doing the framing. You can get the measurement from the edge of the frame to the glass from Softlite and provide it to him, and you guys can then decide what makes the most sense given the location of the window and the glass measurement that you desire.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

Thanks HS...as always. Had another guy come give me an estimate today....looks like the $300-400 range is correct. He said the measurement going wider really would not make a difference whether we wanted 43" or 46". He did suggest that I don't go much higher than the extg. Window which is 53". He said the header would be load bearing and would more tha likely be a 2x6.. He said the Soflite Barington would be about 2" from edge of frame to glass
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote