Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #1

Share |

Need your help once more - PITA window

The window in the master bedroom leaks in really heavy rain. Just normal rain doesnt bother it, but storm rain does, and the next morning the floor has a wet spot about 5" radius and the windowsill is wet in one corner. We have checked for holes in the siding, gaps around the window, old dry caulk, and we have found nothing. The caulk seems good, siding is fine, trim is fine, window closes securely, Im at a loss. Any help?

I attached a pic of the inside, i dont have a pic of the outside. the window on the right is the one that leaks.
Edited to remove picture due to rude remarks. Guess i will figure it out some other way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TrailerParadise; 10-10-2013 at 03:59 PM.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

i would pull that DW off. and wait for a heavy rain.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #3

Off topic, but that drywall is not installed correctly. Every corner of those windows will likely crack sooner than later. Drywall seems should never be at corners like that.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i would pull that DW off. and wait for a heavy rain.
I'd take a hose to it...Controlled Rain.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Wind driven rain will flow up hill. I would look closely at any spots that this could occur. Particularly between where the top & bottom sash meet.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #6

Still never fixed the roof?
All that's keeping the rain out with that style window is some gooey putty type stuff under the fin where it's screwed to the wall outside.
If the frame rots, screws rust out, that drip edge where the outside wall meets the roof or there's a pin hole in the roof it can cause a leak that looks like it's the window leaking.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Roof is fine. The main part of the rust is in the living room.

Fix'n It, the drywall has been off during a heavy rain. There was no water inside the wall cavity, just on the floor and windowsill. The drywall that is there now does not get wet. The water is not coming from the roof, no part of the siding was wet at all. I dont understand it, but i need to fix it before the hardwood flooring goes down.

Mikegp, yep i do know this but the drywall is up already, so, what can you do. Im not taking it back down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

how about an outside pic of that window.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

If the window was flashed by the same guy who hung the drywall then you might as well get used to the leak!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #10

The window was flashed by the factory. And no need to be a douche about it, i know its not hung properly but it was a learning curve and i happen to like it. To me, its better to use up the scraps than to spend money on another whole sheet of drywall, especially when the drywall has to be delivered. If it cracks, it cracks. Im so freakin sick of hearing that, i posted several questions before i even touched the drywall and nobody bothered to tell me that.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #11

Lighten up Francis. I'll stick by my response. If the window installation was as sloppy as the drywall then no wonder it leaks.
Windows are not flashed at the factory. Window flashing, building paper/house wrap, tape and caulk are all part of a water proofing system and they are the installer's responsibility.
If you don't know how to do it properly, no big deal. Not everyone does. That's why these sites exist. I'll post a link to an excellent window flashing video. It should help you to find out why yours is leaking.
In the mean time you need to learn to laugh at a little good natured ball busting.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #12

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2013/...-installation/
Here you go.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Well beings the fact that this entire home was built in a factory, including the siding, yes it was flashed at the factory. This window was installed when the house was built, i didnt do it. I installed the drywall, and like i said nobody bothered to mention it before i started hanging it, so now everyone just has to deal with it, i am so sick of drywall i could vomit. Thank God its almost over. And again, if it cracks, tough luck.