Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need Opinion(s) on exterior window wrap

Earlier in fall I had 12 Windows replaced by Window World of Milwaukee. The windows were done, looked and performed great from the inside, and for the rest of winter I was happy. With the weather getting nice out, I have obviously been outside quite a bit cleaning up the yard, getting it read for Spring/Summer etc. The more and more I looked I noticed that the wrap on my windows just didn't look right. See for yourself. There are some huge gapr between the windows and the siding, AND, the installers appeared to have removed the J-channel to the siding when they put on new wrap, and did not replace it.

To me this just SCREAMS water damage everywhere.

They are coming back out next Tuesday to meet with me, and before I have an aneurysm, I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person who thought this was wrong!

Any help is always appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Opinion(s) on exterior window wrap-img_0346.jpg   Need Opinion(s) on exterior window wrap-img_0347.jpg   Need Opinion(s) on exterior window wrap-img_0351.jpg   Need Opinion(s) on exterior window wrap-img_0371.jpg  

dukes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

That is a very poor unprofessional job.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 80

There would have been 0 reason for them to have removed the J molding. And would have been a big job to even do it.
Was this an old house with wood siding that had vinyl installed installed over it?
The reason I'm asking is the winodow sill does not stick out far enough for the undersill to fit in under it.
Looks like the window trim and sill were not built out before the coil stock was installed.
The correct way to have done this was the trim gets built out, windows and door get wraped, then the siding goes on. It was done backwards.
No way a window replacement company would have wraped the windows with the needed padding out of the trim without an extra charge. It's a lot of materials and extra labor.
Looks like they did the best they could with what they had to work with.
Not trying to stick up for them, I just have to deal with this all the time.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #4

Appreciated, it is an older house, built in 1893. The siding was done about 10-12 years ago (I bought 3 years ago). I know how things go with old houses...but man, I don't know. This just looks very poor. Anyway to prevent water from POURING in between the original wood siding and vinyl replacement?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 68

Sorry to see you dealing with this.

People need to see this post and realize that there is a rationale to the recommendation of a proper window replacement company out there.

The windows need to have all the capping on them re-done and done by a professional. You can either install new j-channel or the person that re-caps the windows can form his/her own.

There is only one guy that I would recommend in Milwaukee that I know personally and that is HomeSealed.

Have you contacted Window World to see what they will do for you?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

The original installers are coming out next Tuesday (Window World subcontracts). I am going to be firm but professional with them in relaying my concerns that I want every window re-wrapped.

If they say they won't or cannot I will be driving up to Window World (I took a day off of work for this) and demanding to speak to the general manager/owner.

Any advice for when they come out? Obviously windows are not my forte, but after this debacle they are soon to be on my list of DIY projects!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

They saw what they had to work with when they came out for the estimate. That is unacceptable by any standards.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

I would not be confident in having the same people that did that work originally, fix the work.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #9

The unfortunate thing is that Window World is sending out the original contractors. I have requested that they also send out the salesman or service manager who sold me the windows.

Window World has a good reputation in Milwaukee, and my father has used them often for his rental properties. Obviously we are seeing the issue here in working with subcontractors. I called again today to make sure I explicitly defined what I want done. The lady started getting an attitude with me asking "If I was in construction"? I calmly told her that while I was not in construction, I know poor work when I see it; and my profession should have nothing to do with the quality of work their contractors did.

I alread have my draft letter written to the BBB, NARI, and Wisconsin Consumer Advocates, as well as the local news channel that does investigative reporting.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukes32 View Post
The unfortunate thing is that Window World is sending out the original contractors. I have requested that they also send out the salesman or service manager who sold me the windows.

Window World has a good reputation in Milwaukee, and my father has used them often for his rental properties. Obviously we are seeing the issue here in working with subcontractors. I called again today to make sure I explicitly defined what I want done. The lady started getting an attitude with me asking "If I was in construction"? I calmly told her that while I was not in construction, I know poor work when I see it; and my profession should have nothing to do with the quality of work their contractors did.

I alread have my draft letter written to the BBB, NARI, and Wisconsin Consumer Advocates, as well as the local news channel that does investigative reporting.
Duke,

There is nothing about using subcontractor that means you should get work like that. If you were going to survey all the work produced out there, you would find that a better quality of work normally comes from contractors vs. employees.

I don't think I would yet invest the time in the letter and contacting the news station just yet.

Deal direct with Window World first and if you need to move it up the chain at their office, you can usually get a hold of one person that can make the necessary changes.

If they value their work and customer relationships, they should want to fix that work at the end of the day.

Good luck and I am sure you will get this fixed up.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

I'll be very measured in my commentary being in the same market, but those pictures clearly show a product that would not pass muster as "workmanlike", or meet industry standards. As Windows on Washington mentioned, this is not the result of "subcontractors", nor is it a problem exclusive to the specific company in mention. It is however far more likely that you'll see issues such as this when dealing with any company that pays their installers a fraction of what others do. That business practice lends itself to a higher likelihood of potential issues.
It is only right that you allow the company to remedy the situation. If after they do so you are still unsure about the finished product, it would not be a bad idea to have a third party take a look, such as an inspector or something of that nature. Even a representative of the local NARI chapter or something along those lines.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the help and advice guys. The installers and service manager are coming out on 4/13 to take a look at the outside wrapping. Homesealed, being in Milwaukee, I will keep you updated as to the what develops. Needless to say, Window installation will be next on my DIY list of tasks to learn. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Home Performance

Sounds good Dukes. Keep us updated.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Good luck. In the meantime, I would take a look and get some pictures of proper capping in that application so that you are ready to discuss and demonstrate.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #15

We've done work for "Walley World".
Our experience was they were usually, very much on top of -
"Quality Control".
Our compensation for the work we did was; shall we say - "lacking".
That being said -
The pictures don't seem to show that the "J" channel was removed.

Very, bad "wrap" job!

Good luck!

rossfingal

(I like the top of the window - no "drip-cap"!!)

Last edited by rossfingal; 03-29-2012 at 08:50 AM.
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote