Need Help Trying To Remove Light/glare That A High Angled Widow Is Casting Onto My TV - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help trying to remove light/glare that a high angled widow is casting onto my TV

Sorry for the long and convoluted topic, thought that was the best way to get my point across.

The window, picture attached, is about 10 - 12 feet from the ground.

It's amazing, because the lighting it provides is natural, and who doesn't want that?

However I like my new TV more than I like the extra bit of light coming in, so i figured what better place to go than here

I had thoughts of using indoor window tinting, however, but because it's so high, I'm not able to do it myself.

There is a "lip" around the window, a gap maybe an inch in size, it runs the entire length.

My main concern is to reduce whatever is causing the glare on my TV. If it means needing to cut out that light, then so be it. I just need it to be done in an very inexpensive, appealing (or mostly "invisible") way, while being easy enough to have a friend or family member do.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Attached Images

Advertisement

andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Need help trying to remove light/glare that a high angled widow is casting onto my TV

Choose a window treatment that will cut the glare (shutter, shade, whatever) and then rent a ladder.

Advertisement

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
Choose a window treatment that will cut the glare (shutter, shade, whatever) and then rent a ladder.
My concern with a window treatment is the angle of the window.

I need to mitigate the cost as well.

But anyway, how can I hang something on an angle like that? I'd prefer a window treatment that I could open, even if it required a long rod to do so, but I can't afford spending much.

If you have some examples or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

what about this?

http://www.the-window-treatment-expe...ndow-film.html
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #5

Yes, I was thinking of that, actually. I was going to hopefully get a bronze color that wouldn't eliminate EVERY bit of light.

Which is why I was interested in getting a window treatment in place of that.

Also, my window tend to get a lot of condensation during the winter, which makes me concerned about the long-term staying power of the film versus a window treatment.

I wonder what general pricing would be on getting blinds made for this type of window? Maybe I could get help from a friend or family member to install it, and from the things I've heard about the films... seems like it would be far easier to hang blinds than try to put on window film without there being any creases/bubbles.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

I should have asked before....why can't you move the TV? That would certainly be cheapest..
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
I should have asked before....why can't you move the TV? That would certainly be cheapest..
It has to stay in the living room, every corner of which is assaulted by this light. There's nowhere to move the tv.

So unless I bought a different house, I'm stuck
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

I wonder if verticle blinds would hang there at that angle and then you could trim the bottoms off straight.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I wonder if verticle blinds would hang there at that angle and then you could trim the bottoms off straight.
I would have to angle the tops, otherwise they would pull to the right and not hang correctly.

I had thought about that initially, the angle just ruins any simple options.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I would have to angle the tops, otherwise they would pull to the right and not hang correctly.
Exactly...why is that a problem? No reason they would pull to the right that I can see. That way a long(er) chain(s) would operate them from the floor.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Exactly...why is that a problem? No reason they would pull to the right that I can see. That way a long(er) chain(s) would operate them from the floor.
If they are straight down, cut at the bottom, rather than the top, they'll be lopsided and won't pull straight, they'll be hanging and uneven.

Take a pair of vertical blinds off the rack and tilt them at angle to the right and down. Cutting the bottoms won't account for the crooked way they'd hang if they were just slanted.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #12
Tileguy

Okay.

Advertisement