Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

Need help with determining swing of exterior door

I am looking to replace my exterior door leading from the garage to the home. I am getting conflicting thoughts on if it is a right or left hand out swing. I am looking to get clarification. Picture below...the view of the photo s me standing in the garage looking into the house.

Need help with determining swing of exterior door-image.jpg

Chris

csfurlong84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Left hand door. You stand in the kitchen with your back to the door, and which hand is on the door knob. That is how to tell if it is a LH or RH.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-29-2013 at 09:48 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

Chris,
there are different terms for swings on a door depending on where you go. I would call that either a "Left hand" door, or a "Right Hinge" door. Easiest way if your not sure is to draw a simple overhead view of it. Draw a line, leave a space in the middle for the door opening, then draw a line at an angle to reprasent the door swinging in. Label above and below your main line for 'inside house' and 'garage
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Thank you both... So would I be correct in saying i need a left handed out swing door?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

You would need a Left Hand Outswing, if you plan on changing that one out. Also need to check with your city what they require the Fire Rating for a Garage door to be, for a residence.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-29-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Greg... Do you mean out swing? As the door opens out into the garage not into the home?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Additional photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with determining swing of exterior door-image-4084725242.jpg   Need help with determining swing of exterior door-image-2986428959.jpg   Need help with determining swing of exterior door-image-4001350009.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfurlong84 View Post
Greg... Do you mean out swing? As the door opens out into the garage not into the home?
I am on the wife's iPad tonight, due to having issues with my laptop, so having to reinstall the OS ? Hard trying to do twenty things at once.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #9

How did the hand come into play when determining door swing anyway? And why isn't it a universal standard? And why would you have your back to the door to define a standard? Seems to me, the most logical approach would be in which direction the door swings. Regardless, of whether it's an in-swing, or out-swing, the hinges always determine which way it will swing. While FACING a door, if the hinges are on the left, the door will swing to the left. And it makes no difference, which hand is doing the opening. Is my logical mind missing something in all this confusion. It's like new math... why do we make things more difficult? I mean, come on. The hinged door has been around for centuries and we still can't figure out an acceptable, and meaningful standard?
redjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

My experience with doors has always been "universal"...

Stand in the doorway with your back to the hinges. Does the door swing to the left or the right?...this determines your handing (LH vs. RH).

Inswing vs. Outswing...means does the door swing IN for interior or OUT for exterior. Concept is the same for interior doors.

Greg is correct, you have a LH-Outswing door.
RunningSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RunningSparky For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningSparky View Post
My experience with doors has always been "universal"...
Which is it then? Left-Hand, or Right-Hinged
redjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr
While FACING a door, if the hinges are on the left, the door will swing to the left.:
I see what you are saying, however, not everyone FACES a door the same way (interior vs. exterior)...you can be inside your house facing your front door with hinges on the left, and it will be called a RHand door if it swings interior. You're right, seems like reinventing the wheel...I'm certainly not a door expert, just regurgitating what I have been taught and it makes sense to me. :-)
RunningSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
Mod

Iíve heard different people call it out differently, left hand or hinged, I've always called it out as right or left swing as they all mean the same thing.

As mentioned, put your back to the hinges and whichever way the door swings gives you the left or right.

The only time in-swing or out-swing come into play is when ordering doors with thresholds (exterior doors).
Old 04-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Same thing here.

Left Hand, out swing.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The way I learned was to put your hiney against the inside of the door. reach out and touch the hinge edge of the door. If you can actually touch the knuckles of the hinge with, say, your right hand, then it is a right hand door (RH). If the hinge knuckles are on the ouside, then it is a Right Hand Reverse door (RHR).
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with determining swing of exterior door-door_handing.jpg  

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote