DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   Moss Windows (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/moss-windows-156656/)

ejds 09-12-2012 11:02 PM

Moss Windows
 
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with Moss windows? They are made in Virginia or North Carolina. Our local lumberyard sells them. I can't find much info on them other than the manufacturer's website.


Thanks,
Egbert

joecaption 09-12-2012 11:06 PM

I live in VA and have never heard of them.
Is there a Lancing Building Products or Eastern Aluminum Supply near you?
I'd be looking at Simonton or Wincore windows.

ejds 09-13-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1008837)
I live in VA and have never heard of them.
Is there a Lancing Building Products or Eastern Aluminum Supply near you?
I'd be looking at Simonton or Wincore windows.

Thanks, we have none of these suppliers nearby. I'm just a little bit above you in the Northern Neck where choices are limited. Several were recommending Silverline, but I can't find one good word about them.

What I want to do is replace the existing vinyl windows in the house with new construction windows and reuse some of the old ones in my workshop. The house is a 12 year old double-wide and some of the windows are getting moisture between the panes. they are also very hard to open.

Egbert

joecaption 09-13-2012 11:20 PM

Have you made any attempt to just work with the windows you already have?

If there hard to open then it could be as simple as they need to be reshimed.

It's simple enough to replace a leaking sash if you can figure out who made it.

Ya Silverline is a builders low end grade of windows.

What type siding in on your home?

ejds 09-14-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1009524)
Have you made any attempt to just work with the windows you already have?

If there hard to open then it could be as simple as they need to be reshimed.

It's simple enough to replace a leaking sash if you can figure out who made it.

Ya Silverline is a builders low end grade of windows.

What type siding in on your home?

The existing windows are single hung of really low quality, all of them are hard to open and most of them are showing signs of moisture between the panes. Also we, the wife mostly, wants double hung windows. The siding is vinyl, I can deal with that to replace the windows with new construction ones.

Windows on Wash 09-15-2012 05:07 AM

Home Depot sells Simonton as well.

Check them out there.

ejds 09-16-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1010223)
Home Depot sells Simonton as well.

Check them out there.

Thanks, do they sell them in the stores, on the website they only came up with their installation services.

Egbert

Windows on Wash 09-17-2012 07:30 AM

They sell them.

joecaption 09-17-2012 08:16 AM

Any box stores web site does not list everything that they can sell or even all the items they stock in the store.
Also some items may be avalible at some stores and not others.
My local Home Depot can not sell Simonton, but they can sell Anderson.

An example is Centry preformed stairs. My local store could not sell them because there was already another dealer set up within so many miles and they had a potected territry. But a store an hour away could sell them.

ejds 09-17-2012 10:08 PM

Thanks, need to go to Waldorf, MD this week, I'll check Homedepot there out and see what they have. The stores near us are smaller and they don't carry all the products.

Egbert


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved