Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Minnesota Foggy Window Glass replacement

Does anyone have any recomendations for companies to replace the glass for a large picture window (4foot square) in the twin cities area? We are trying to sell our house and it just looks terrible, it started to fog up the day we went on the market.

Bonstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,104

Pick up phone book look under glass.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
REDRUM (09-12-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 510

Unfortunatly, you are going to have to replace that window. The seal between the two panes of glass is not sealed anymore. Once a little moisture gets in there it will fog up the glass. There is no fix for this accept for replacing the glass
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

There are companies that claim they can defog and reseal glass panes. But I'd have to go with danpik's advice. Replace the window and spare yourself the aggravation of a "fix" that may be unsuccessful.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy 60 View Post
There are companies that claim they can defog and reseal glass panes. But I'd have to go with danpik's advice. Replace the window and spare yourself the aggravation of a "fix" that may be unsuccessful.
Agreed. And, unless you are selling the house "as is", you will have to disclose the fix and may end up offering an allowance or having to have it fixed a year from now when the fix fails for the new buyer anyhow.

And frankly, disclosed problems lists make buyers suspect other things from my experience through the years.

Was born near and lived my early life in the twin cities. They will always be special to me but Chicago is my adopted home for a second time having lived all over including on both coasts. I will ask cousins who they use for glass repairs and get back to you if they have anything to share.

Otherwise look online, in the phone book I guess if you still have one, and ask around. Bars and restaurants go through windows on a regular basis for some unexplained reason? Ask the manager of a fave who they use. They will have an emergency glass company business card pinned to a bulletin board if nothing else.

What kind of window is it? Isn't there an Anderson or Pella factory near Stillwater or over the river in Hudson, WI?

Have you used a contractor or even a licensed handyman for things? Either should be able to replace a window for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

That seems to be a job for a good glass company to. Because of our climate (temps from -30F to +100F and wide ranges of humidity) popped seals are quite common. There are very many glass operations that make sealed double glazed panels to any size and also carry many standard panels in stock. A 4x4 panel is not a toy to remove and replace.

I had a double glazed panel on a slider pop a seal (oversize - odd dimension and 30 years old) and called a reasonably local glass company to measure and give me an estimate. - They were on the east side of St. Paul or up near White Bear. The guy showed up and knew exactly what the window was and had one on his truck. The price was good (don't remember since it was 7 years ago), but in about 20 minutes he had the slider out, removed and replaced the glazing panel, fixed a few wheels, installed and adjusted the sliding panel and disposed of the old glazing. The price seemed very good, so I took it and don't regret it yet since it was an older, obsolete size at the time.

Your panel may or may not be a standard. Look in the corner somewhere and you may find and etched portion that may give manufacturer and/or size that could make shopping easier. Installation is important so make sure is done properly because everything in a house can move annually and can stress the glazed panel if not installed right.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote