Measured RO Wrong - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 558

Measured RO Wrong

My rough opening 1"too big. My guy is going to make a new header so it fits properly but now since we don't have anymore of the same vinyl siding he said there is going to be an inch gap above the j-channel. I. Does anyone have a solution? He said there is a type of vinyl trim/moulding that could hide it. Just reaching out here to see if anyone has encounter this before or know a solution.

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 638

Measured RO Wrong

Two big for what? Window, Door?
Why pay to have someone fix it? Two pieces of 1/2 plywood or OSB is all it takes.
Got a picture of the outside?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why pay to have someone fix it? Two pieces of 1/2 plywood or OSB is all it takes.
Wong pic..see next post
Attached Thumbnails
Measured RO Wrong-photo-12-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 03-22-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
Don't know what you mean. Since I measured the RO incorrectly(short) he said now there will be a gap of 1" from the top of j-channel to the bottom of siding.

Deck is wrong pic.....sorry!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Measured RO Wrong-photo-12-copy-2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #5

Measured RO Wrong

Still trying to figure this out, and what order your trying to do this so bare with me.
Is this a new constrution window? If so why would someone side the house before the window was installed?
Impossible to seal around the nailing flange if it's done that way.

Why not just get another piece of siding and do it right?

Got to ask some questions because we do not have all the info and were not there.

Still need a picture of the outside, one inside does no good.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Measured RO Wrong

I dont understand either, and an interior pic does nothing to help visualize a siding problem.
So you had to enlarge the opening? If so, that will require new J on the sides, and trimming back the siding. If it is the opposite and you are closing the opening in, you can cut down the J and replace the adjacent siding, or just make up the gap with aluminum trim if that is what you are using.
If you are using a window with integrated J, as Joe said, I'm not quite sure how or why the siding would be up before the window is installed.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #7

Measured RO Wrong

Sorry for not being clear guys. THere was an exiting window and I order a larger new construction window. He is framing it out now to the new dimensions but the new height RO( the window is wider) is actually less by one inch. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Measured RO Wrong-photo-13-.jpg   Measured RO Wrong-photo-12-copy-3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Measured RO Wrong

No way would I install a window like there trying to do or side a house like that.
Did they ask you to sign a waver if it leaks or fails.
Do the new windows have built in J moulding?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
No way would I install a window like there trying to do or side a house like that.
Did they ask you to sign a waver if it leaks or fails.
Do the new windows have built in J moulding?
What do you mean you would not? Why? Just curious. Yes.... should he leave the J on.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Home Performance

Measured RO Wrong

No offense, but this looks like a disaster all around. The siding job is not professional to start with. To get this window flashed properly, that wall needs sheathing around the window opening, the siding needs to either be removed and reinstalled, or cut-back and trim added. The latter seems to be the only solution given your circumstances if you are not wanting to replace siding....
At this point, I would highly recommend contacting a professional. Not sure who your "guy" is, but this is not looking good.
Search some schematics and youtube videos of how to flash a window properly to see why this is such a mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-22-2013), kwikfishron (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
My guy is going to
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Sorry, I hope not.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

Measured RO Wrong

If that was my job I would have removed all that siding around the window on both sides and just above it.
I'd sheath the wall in that area around the window to get rid of those air holes that are there now. The area around the window's R/O's will need to be built out with plywood, OSB, or pine so it will be even on the outside with the white foam and be at least 6" wide, apply caulking on the back side of the nailing fin and install the window, wrap the fin with 6" wide window tape starting at the botton the sides then the top.
If you did not buy the better windows with a built in J moulding you need to add a strip of J moulding over the top of the window, then the J moulding.
Now you can install the siding.
There's no reason some of the old siding can not be reused.
Your going to have to buy more siding to do this right, not just use a wider J or use coil stock.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #13

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
No offense, but this looks like a disaster all around. The siding job is not professional to start with. To get this window flashed properly, that wall needs sheathing around the window opening, the siding needs to either be removed and reinstalled, or cut-back and trim added. The latter seems to be the only solution given your circumstances if you are not wanting to replace siding....
At this point, I would highly recommend contacting a professional. Not sure who your "guy" is, but this is not looking good.
Search some schematics and youtube videos of how to flash a window properly to see why this is such a mess.
I completley understand and thank you for the advice. Is something missing from under the siding?

Last edited by Mstrlucky74; 03-22-2013 at 10:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mstrlucky74 For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #14

Measured RO Wrong

Quote:
If that was my job I would have removed all that siding around the window on both sides and just above it.
I'd sheath the wall in that area around the window to get rid of those air holes that are there now. The area around the window's R/O's will need to be built out with plywood, OSB, or pine so it will be even on the outside with the white foam and be at least 6" wide, apply caulking on the back side of the nailing fin and install the window, wrap the fin with 6" wide window tape starting at the botton the sides then the top.
If you did not buy the better windows with a built in J moulding you need to add a strip of J moulding over the top of the window, then the J moulding.
Now you can install the siding.
There's no reason some of the old siding can not be reused.
Your going to have to buy more siding to do this right, not just use a wider J or use coil stock.
Joe thanks a lot!!!! He did mention it has to be bullt out. He want to use 5/4 x6 pressure treated to do it. He is removing the siding. I bought soft-lite with jchannel. Thanks again
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Home Performance

Measured RO Wrong

good window choice... Make sure that he is not planning on capping over that pressure treated with aluminum coil stock. They don't mix.

Advertisement