Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Making window double pane

As I was installing plastic window film over our large picture window to prepare for winter and I had an idea about installing another pane of glass from inside the home to make a double pane window. The bay window has 3 large sections of single panes of glass about 3.5 ft wide then a small window about 18 inches tall at the bottom. The smaller bottom window crank open. The window frame is deep enough and has a 1/4 inch lip around entire frame where I could run a bead of silicone, then place the glass to the frame. This would create an air pocket of about 1.5 inches between the two pieces of glass. I would then install window stop with brad nailer and finish with trim. I would also run a bead of silicone around the first pane of glass frame to insure its air tight prior to installing the second pane of glass. I would clean each piece of glass really well and install wearing gloves since the second pane would be fixed permanent.

My questions are:

Could the window frame handle the additional weight of glass?

If both panes of glass are sealed with silicone would that prevent moisture from forming between the glass?

Would this be worthwhile to help with heating/cooling loss?

The window gets full sun in the summer and I wonder if the glass could crack due to heat build-up between the panes? The single pane gets warm to the touch in the summer.

We do not want to replace the window with a modern bay or picture window since this style of window is the only one weve seen in our neighborhood. House was built in 1973 and I cannot find the style of window from a google search. Ill take a picture for better illustrate if needed.

marriedmanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
bbo

the moisture would already be between the panes. it would condense when it gets cold.

I suspect you are on a budget and would not want a custom made window?

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
bbo

also possibly doing this in a low humidity environment and putting some kind of desiccant in between might assist in longevity.

I do suspect the lifespan would not be nearly as good for a diy window and something manufactured with more exacting tolerances and materials ( including what's between the windows)

you might be better off just doing storm windows.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

My dad bought some interior storm windows back in the 80's that were pretty slick. Self adhesive metal strip goes on the wall then you make the window to size with plexiglass in a frame that is magnetic. They worked quite well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
the moisture would already be between the panes. it would condense when it gets cold.

I suspect you are on a budget and would not want a custom made window?
I have talked with some window companies but this large picture window is unique, that I haven't seen a window like it. Most large picture or bay windows today look the same. I have not thrown out the idea of replacing.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
My dad bought some interior storm windows back in the 80's that were pretty slick. Self adhesive metal strip goes on the wall then you make the window to size with plexiglass in a frame that is magnetic. They worked quite well.
I'll have to look into that. I guess I could build a wooden frame then use router with rabbet bit for glass to sit down in to similar to a mirror frame. Then the frame could be mounted and removed for cleaning or seasons. The built option after stain and paint would look more orginial than metal storm windows. I'll have to snap a picture and show what I'm working with.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Home Performance

There are some nice looking interior storm options out there. I'd explore that first, and then if you cannot find something that fits your needs, fabricate.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
There are some nice looking interior storm options out there. I'd explore that first, and then if you cannot find something that fits your needs, fabricate.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have found great options for an interior storm window and will go that route. I think this will work much better.