Making A Stationary Window Out Of Double Hung - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making a stationary window out of double hung

Hey guys, I need to replace an existing window in my 100 year old house with a shorter one. I was thinking of taking the lower half of a double hung that I have (which is the same width) and installing that into the existing frame and just frame it in shorter and leave it stationary and not be able to open it. I know i can buy a new one but it would have to be a custom size and quite expensive. Also I would like to use my old window to keep the historic look along with the rest of them. What do you think? Is this a stupid idea? I can't think of any reason it would be a problem
Thanks!

Advertisement

jlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,518

Sure, it can be done. Can't comment on the "stupid idea" part without knowing why you think you "need" to do this.

Patching and matching the interior and exterior will likely cost more and take more time than replacing/repairing the window you have now.

If this window is the only way to escape the house from that room in case of Fire! then blocking it off could prove to be costly.

Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 79

Just curious why you want to replace the existing window with a shorter one. I'm sure it would work, but not only would you probably have to do extra framing as you said, I would think you would also have to add extra siding and extra interior work to the opening left by the taller window. If you want to keep the historic look of the house, have you looked at possibly having the windows rebuilt? It is supposed to be much cheaper than having replacements and better yet, you keep the original windows to the house. Plus, IMO, the tall windows is part of the historic look. Although maybe the window is to far gone to rebuild.

I say all of this, I have no experience with either putting a smaller window in or having windows rebuilt If I didn't have a mishmash of windows (1980s replacements and 1950s originals), I would be rebuilding. As it is, my original frames are good so I'm doing just sash replacements. This is just my two cents. Not trying to convince you not to do this just different alternatives to think about. I'm sure somebody will come thru and give you better insight with what it would take to do what you want.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

Well I should have explained why I need a shorter window. I'm renovating my kitchen and the sink I'm using is a 1920's high back farm sink. It's going in front of the window and the backsplash would sit up too high into the window. The interior walls are opened up all around the window so framing it in is not a problem and I realize I will have to do some siding work on the exterior. Also there are 5 other windows in the room and a door so no problem with fire escape access. Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

What about a casement or an awning window
kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

If you really dont care if it operates, that is a fine option. it is basically a "deadlite". Those are often used in garages... You will probably want to add a storm on the exterior though to get halfway decent efficiency from it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

I was planning on adding a storm to the outside as well. I have seen stationary windows used in garages and barns quite a bit. Actually part of the house was a converted barn from the late 1800's so that window will be fitting

Advertisement