Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Make RO smaller or Make RO bigger?

Hi, new member here, long time lurcher. I've relied heavily on this website over the past year or so to do a lot of my diy projects the right way, so thanks to all the professionals!

Not sure if this is belongs more in the carpenter forum, or the window one (Mods please help me get it to the right place )

I'm currently removing two old windows, and wanted to replace them with new ones. Of course, the old windows are odd ball, so I went to Home Depot and got a smaller set, and a larger set of windows. The larger windows are too wider than the RO by like 1/2 inch (36" x 29").

The preferred RO, according to the window instructions, is 36" x 24". My opening is 40" X 28 1/2" ish.

To achieve this, I have to install 3 - 2x4's horizontally, 3- 2x4's vertically. This would give me enough area to nail my flange.

Is it okay to fill like this? Would it be easier to make my opening bigger, so it could fit the 36" x 29" window?

(Disclaimer, my measurements aren't totally exact, I'm just going by memory. I know that to accommodate the manufacturers RO, that I'd have to use the three 2x4's both vertically and horizontally).

Thanks in advance (sorry if I'm a little confusing).

antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote