Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

Lowes replacement sashes

Our ranch house has early 1970's double hung windows. They're fine, but single pane.

At Lowes they offer replacement sashes. You measure your window opening and they make them to fit. I priced one with low-e glass, argon filled, and wood frames and the guy said $200.

The brochure says you take out the old window and then install new slides and then the sashes, which are double hung and tilt in.

Anyone ever do these? I'm interested in how difficult (i.e., how time consuming) they are to do, and how they look. The guy suggested getting just one to make sure they work, which isn't exactly re-assuring.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Lowes replacement sashes

You are referring to what is called a sash kit. It provides the new jamb tracks, balances (often time tension fit) and new sashes. They are cheaper than replacement window, not by much usually, but can be difficult to get in properly.

If they are not done properly, the will leak like a sieve. Have you considered a storm window if you are not thinking replacement. They are a bit easier to install correctly.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #3

Lowes replacement sashes

Hi, Thanks,

We have storm windows. My wife strongly dislikes them.

I suggested just taking the storms off and having higher heating bills, but she wants new windows.

The house is brick. The replacement windows I've seen in brick always seem to involve smaller sashes by about 1.5" all around. I don't like that.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Lowes replacement sashes

Take a look around. There are some narrower profile replacement windows out there that will not cost you much glass.

Even the vinyl line that we use only shrinks the opening by about 3/4" a side.

If you went with Fiberglass, that can be as little as 1/2" a side.

Sash kits are fine, but they are notorious for not sealing right and very finicky to get in properly.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Home Performance

Lowes replacement sashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Take a look around. There are some narrower profile replacement windows out there that will not cost you much glass.

Even the vinyl line that we use only shrinks the opening by about 3/4" a side.

If you went with Fiberglass, that can be as little as 1/2" a side.

Sash kits are fine, but they are notorious for not sealing right and very finicky to get in properly.
+1. I don't like sash-kits at all. We actually do several jobs per year where we replace them because they leak air... You are in the price range of a half-way decent diy replacement window already (depending on options), that is the route that I'd go.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #6

Lowes replacement sashes

Good to know.

So where do I go to see samples of replacement windows that won't lose too much glass?

Searching for windows on the internet it difficult, because so many of the links are for the Microsoft product. Doh!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Home Performance

Lowes replacement sashes

Where are you located?... That will dictate which products are available to you. Okna, Sunrise, Softlite Pro, and Gorell Timeless are all good, slim-lined options. You can do a zip code search on most manufacturer websites to see if they serve your area.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #8

Lowes replacement sashes

South Carolina.

I'll check into the ones you mentioned.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #9

Lowes replacement sashes

What type of windows are in the house now?

What type of glazing?

You may be able to order the double glass and use different glazing on the existing sash.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #10

Lowes replacement sashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1971 View Post
What type of windows are in the house now?

What type of glazing?

You may be able to order the double glass and use different glazing on the existing sash.

They're wooden 70's vintage single-pane divide lite. The sashes move up and down in spring loaded aluminum tracks.

Each sash has 6 panes. I think there are 16 windows on the main floor, and 11 in the basement. We will probably leave the basement unchanged.