DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

looking for some help picking a replacement window:

10K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Fix'n it 
#1 ·
We need to replace all the windows in our house (14 double hungs, 1 slider, and 1 fixed) due to some sill/ trim rot and window pane seal breakdown. I have received quotes from several different contractors using several different products. We are planning on staying in the home for at least the next 10 years so I want a good products that will last and improve our energy usage. We are planning on doing a vinyl replacement window, with an exterior aluminum wrap; we want a window that has a color shaded outside that will match the tan trim on our house. Here the quotes I have thus far:

Lowe's- would get a $600 in store credit
Atrium (Reliabuilt) 3201 series windows – 5789.00
Pella (Thermastar) 20 series windows – 6274.00
PlyGem 3800 series double pain- 6996.00
PlyGem 3800 series triple pain- 7398.00

Lowe's- without in-store credit
Alside Ultramaxx windows w/ climatech glass, white interior w/ beige exterior for 7853.00

Local independent contractor- friend of a friend I know that will do a great job
Alside Ultramaxx windows w/ climatech glass, white interior w/ beige exterior for 8989.00

Window world- large chain
Series 6000 (equal to the Alside Ultramaxx) 7577.00

I have looked at consumer reports (CR) a bit to do some research and I am thinking the the Pella (Thermastar) 20 are out due to low ratings. I like the alsides rating but they are most per unit on CR and one of the more expensive options I have had quoted. Anyone have a thoughts on the reliability?, they have a good rating on CR in the testing but have two very bad reviews.

I am bit overwhelming with this process. I really just want a good quality window that will last for at least 20+ years for a reasonable price. I was a bit apprehensive with Lowe's, given they are just contracting it out, but my neighbor used them and had very good luck and the product install looks great.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks- Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
My suggestions: avoid big box, they usually sell junk, avoid the big chains, same thing. Allside is the brand Sears installers use, more junk. Anyone that sells a window for $200 including intallation, AVOID.

Local independent contractors generall use better quality products. They rely on referrals and usually won't try to push cheap stuff on you. The windows I use cost me $275+ for a replacement window, but they meet engineering standards, have long warranties with a record of service to back it up.

#20 ·
Most manufacturers will have "standard options" (ie: extrusions) in white, almond and brown. Anything beyond that would require a "custom" option. If you are talking interior, there are various woodgrain and color options available, as well as some stainable/paintable options.

#22 ·
thanx fellas :thumbup:

brown/almond will be just fine. inside and outside.

now, i need to contact that fellow, to see if i can afford his wares.

i have 1 window that i will be learning on, it is the one right in front of me.
it is out of the whether inside and outside. and i need no ladder for the outside.
covered porch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.