Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

Leave or remove storm doors

Hi All,
I am going to be replacing 2 sliding doors that are original to my house (Built in 1975.) The doors themselves are aluminim double paned, and then they both have external sliding, single paned storm doors on them.

My question is, is there any benefit of refitting the storm doors over the new sliders?

I live on the North Shore of Boston so winter weather is a factor. I also live on a semi exposed hillside, but the wind does not usually blow directly at these doors.

For what it's worth, there was one slider already replaced by the previous owner, and they did not re-fit the storm door that was originally there. Becase this door is not visible to the other doors, you would not notice that two have a storm door, and the other does not.

If I did re-fit the storm doors, I would have to paint (and maintain the paint) on the frames as they are brown, where the new door is white

Any help would be appreciated.
bustedwheel is offline   Reply With Quote