Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

Latch on Sliding Door

Hi, I'm a real DIY newbie, so please be gentle.

We have a sliding wooden door (wooden door frame) between our house and our garage. The door currently has something fitted (I don't know what it's called) where if you push the top bit in, a bit on the bottom pops out so you can grab it and pull it to move the sliding door. I hope that description makes sense.

What we want is some sort of latch so that the sliding door, when closed, can't be opened unless you flick the latch. The problem is that we want the latch to be flickable (so that the door can be unlocked) equally easily from each side. The latch isn't for security, it's to keep the darn cat in the house, not the garage (he can actually open the sliding door. A latch will be enough to stop that).

I found some fittings that look like they'd do the job, but they had a latch only on one side - they were more for security. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there an easier way to do this? The whole object is just to stop the cat being able to open it.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Budfudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Latch on Sliding Door

We call that a pocket door. Don't usually see them between house and garage because it is not code compliant. Check to see if you can install a magnetic catch lock. Might be just enough to keep kitty cat from opening it.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:01 AM   #3

Latch on Sliding Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
We call that a pocket door. Don't usually see them between house and garage because it is not code compliant. Check to see if you can install a magnetic catch lock. Might be just enough to keep kitty cat from opening it.
Thanks for the suggestion - never heard of a magnetic catch lock, but having a look on the net they might be perfect. Just a question of how string the magnet is, I guess. I'll have a look and see if I can get one. Thanks a lot
Budfudder is offline   Reply With Quote