Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

Share |

Larson storm door

I need help with 2 things. 1. We want to remove all of the gold trim around this screen door located around the glass of the door onside and out. Is that possible?
2. What door handle material is the next quality and rust resistant?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Larson storm door

If you did, the top would cause the window to fall inwards, the bottom kick plate would allow critters and air to get through. As for the handle, it is just Pot metal. Your questions are really answered if you took the time to go to Larson's website and everything is available through their customer service link.

Now of course, you can paint the Brass parts, but then it would look cheap and shoddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

Larson storm door

I think that color looks good with the white oak.
I sure hope that door way on the outside is not exposed to direct sun.
Those full view storms should come with a big warning sticker on them. They act like a solar panel and can distory a door.
Gymschu (07-16-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #4

Larson storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you did, the top would cause the window to fall inwards, the bottom kick plate would allow critters and air to get through. As for the handle, it is just Pot metal. Your questions are really answered if you took the time to go to Larson's website and everything is available through their customer service link.

Now of course, you can paint the Brass parts, but then it would look cheap and shoddy.
So your saying stay away from brass? What other type of handle material would you recommend?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #5

Larson storm door

Quote:

I also need to clarify. We want to substitute the gold trim for silver or brushed nickel.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Larson storm door

Call Larson. I am sure they will sell you the new pieces in a brushed nickel finish option.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #7

Larson storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Call Larson. I am sure they will sell you the new pieces in a brushed nickel finish option.
Otherwise stay with brass? We don't have brass currently. It sounds like the gold trim cannot be substituted which means I would have to get an entire new door.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Larson storm door

Also, I had to set the door to slam shut as its closing so it closes all the way. Otherwise it stays partially open instead of closing. What can I try?
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Larson storm door

Who installed it? Is the alignment proper or is the closer not zeroing out.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #10

Larson storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Who installed it? Is the alignment proper or is the closer not zeroing out.
Its the closer.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Larson storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
So your saying stay away from brass? What other type of handle material would you recommend?
Never stated that. The parts you are talking about, are a "Brass" finish as described on Larson's website.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #12

Larson storm door

I've yet to see one of those doors with that style latch close all the way on it's own.
I may if the inside door is still open but may not when the doors closed because of the pressure.
It's like trying to close a car door with the windows up, takes a little more ummp.
paul100 (06-06-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Larson storm door

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I've yet to see one of those doors with that style latch close all the way on it's own.
I may if the inside door is still open but may not when the doors closed because of the pressure.
It's like trying to close a car door with the windows up, takes a little more ummp.
It it me a while to get my back door to close properly after putting in a new backdoor, and reinstalling the Larson Storm that we had. Still have a small gap at the top of mine, where I did not cut enough off the aluminum, but you can get them to close properly, by just taking your time, and doing the proper adjustments on the closer and latch.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #14

Larson storm door

Quote:
It it me a while to get my back door to close properly after putting in a new backdoor, and reinstalling the Larson Storm that we had. Still have a small gap at the top of mine, where I did not cut enough off the aluminum, but you can get them to close properly, by just taking your time, and doing the proper adjustments on the closer and latch.
I got it to close at a much faster rate, but the latch will not automatically close. Instead it slams into the frame. What can I spray into the latch because it seems like its just jammed at times.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Exterior Construction

Larson storm door

If the latch is sticking, start with some graphite and see if it will loosen up.

If it doesn't, plan on pulling it apart and inspecting it.